41:Max

Arabelle D’Ewes

“Ma’am?” There’s a hand on her shoulder, a warm, comforting hand. He’s talking to her, whoever he is. “Ma’am are you okay?” His pitch rises in his panic. The sound is ever so slightly familiar.
But Belle is too weak too look up, too tired to respond. All she can think about is the hurt in Jack’s beautiful turquoise eyes. She doesn’t respond. She wills the boy to go away and leave her to her misery.

“Did he hurt you?” Though Belle’s eyes are closed, she can feel the boy stand up and look away, at Jack’s retreating back. His arm moves from her shoulder, and she hears the click of a nightstick being removed from a belt. The brave ship guard came to check on the helpless girl… How sweet… “Don’t worry ma’am, he won’t get away.”

“No!” Belle launches herself at the boy before he can run after Jack. “Stop! He didn’t hurt me!”
She keeps her eyes firmly on the ship guard, so that she won’t accidentally look after Jack. She knows if she does, she might burst into tears, and she couldn’t stand the embarrassment.

“Then why…” starts the ship guard. He looks awfully young to Belle, too red-haired and freckled to be much of a threat to anyone. “Were you leaning against the wall looking so sad?”

Mind your own business! Belle wants to say, but there’s something about this boy, something friendly and familiar, and she can’t bring herself to be mean to him. She releases her grip on his arm and sits up. “Hey, I’ve seen you before… You were there when I—”

“Hey!” he cries, with a spark of recognition. “You’re Arabelle! The fainting girl!” He starts to laugh, but stops when he sees her expression. “Oh, no, I’m so sorry ma’am, I didn’t mean it like that…” He helps Belle to her feet, apologizing. “You’re okay, aren’t you? Didn’t hurt your head too bad or anything?”

She shakes her head. “Don’t worry about me, I’m sure it’ll never happen again.” No. No, you were there, when I fainted, but that’s still not where I know you from… Who are you? Why do I recognize you? “Well, you know my name. I’m probably a joke for all you ship guards now, aren’t I?”
The boy blushes a shade of red to match his hair. “I’m sorry, ma’am, I didn’t mean any offense—”
She brushes it off. “It’s okay, you can call me Belle. But I think it’s only right you tell me your name.”
He smiles, and it’s a good look on him. Arabelle never did like the serious scowl they taught ship guards to wear. “Max.”

“Max,” she repeats. “Nice to meet you.” I know I’ve never met a Max before. So why do I feel like I know you? Why do I feel so… comfortable around you?

Belle sighs. “Actually, I was a little sad, before.”

“Because of that boy?” Max asks, and not without a hint of anger.

“No!” Belle yelps, quick to defend her Jack. “Well, sort of. I’m in a bit of a sticky situation. You see…” The lie is out before Belle can stop it, but lies seem to come easier to her now. “He’s my boyfriend. But one of my friends has a little crush on him. We’re all just trying to straighten this out without hurting anyone’s feelings, you know?”

“Oh, yes, of course,” Max says earnestly. Belle appreciates this, his honesty. “Friends are important. Sometimes even more important than family. You can be related to someone but still not be friends with them, see? And you know, in the end, none of it really matters. Money, gold, jewels, any of it. What’ll really matter is the people you’ve met and the friends you’ve made and—” Max coughs.

“No go on!” Belle prompts. “That was lovely. I’m feeling better already.”

Max shakes his head, embarrassed. “Glad to hear it. Well, Belle, I won’t bother you anymore. But hey, if you ever need to talk, don’t hesitate to come to me.”

“Thank you Max.” Oh well. I’ll never know. “I will.”