49:Butterfly Hairpins

Still don't own these people....

Rose Dewitt Bukater

Rose starts with letting down her hair.

She removes every clip, one by one, and sets them aside on her dresser. Her long curls flow down her shoulders like a scarlet waterfall. The last pin she removes is in the shape of a butterfly, and she rubs her fingers across its toothy comb, letting it bring her back to her twelfth summer. She and Kate had been strolling in and out of stores, right after lessons, and they had first seen the butterfly hairpins in the window of a store called ‘June’s’. At the time, they had been the most expensive, yet beautiful things the girls had ever seen, and they had spent the remainder of the summer helping out on Uncle Guard’s farm to make money.

 Rose closes her eyes and pictures the day that they had finally earned enough—it was an unusually cool day for September, but as soon as they’d counted the last of their coins, Rose and Kate ran to the plaza as fast as their young legs could take them—not even stopping to grab coats. Kate had gotten the silver and purple one, and Rose an identical green and gold. And the two little girls had brandished them like mighty twin swords, vowing to never lose them. Kate had called them friendship charms.

Oh, the many things that I’ll have to tell Kate! Rose thinks giddily, and she wonders what Kate would say if she could see her now. She wonders what Uncle Guard would say. She can practically see his kind, dark head roll back with laughter. ‘Little Rosie is finally growing up! ‘Bout time!’ He’d say. Something like that, anyway. I’m happy for you, kid.

Rose smiles to herself as she undoes the lace of her dress. Waiting for her outside is a boy, a real-life living, breathing, beautiful boy with a beautiful heart bigger than all the stars in space.  When Titanic docks in America, she knows exactly what she’s going to do, and who she’s going to get with. She doesn’t know where she and Jack will go from there, but that’s what she loves. Together, they can be explorers, adventurers, they could even be wizards--with their love strong enough to make magic burst from their very fingertips. They could be whatever they want to to be. They could be anything. 

Eventually, she wants to take him to see Kate and Uncle Guard. She hasn’t seen either of them personally in years, ever since she left with her mother. The reunion will be so sweet, and the embraces of her long-lost-loved-ones shall be even sweeter. Especially with Jack by her side this time—the boy who makes her quiver with excitement at even the sound of his name.

Rose sets her dress atop the bathtub.

She turns back around, staring into her long mirror. She sees a girl of sixteen- and- three-quarters, with bright cheeks big, intelligent eyes that have always made her seem a bit older than she actually is. But today they are not empty. They are not sad. Her tiny mouth, usually so full of sharp words, is silent and still and for the first time, even somewhat elegant. She sees herself unlike she ever has before—glowing with joy. Pure bliss seems to cascade off of her body in giant waves, and it's enough to make a creature as ordinary as herself shimmer with traces of beauty. 

Rose fluffs out her hair one last time, grabbing the translucent black robe from atop her closed door with one hand, and a dime from her dress pocket with the other. Rose shrugs the robe over her body.

She inhales deeply, moistens her lips –shaking from a mixture of nervousness and glee—and gently opens the door.

 Jack had been sitting on the green arm chair looking very comfortable, sharpening a small stick of charcoal. But upon her door opening he looks up quickly and shifts a bit in his seat. He licks his plush tips, a nervous habit Rose has already taken note of, and she watches him take in a deep breath. She can’t help but grin at his reaction. Very rarely does she ever see him display nervousness, but it’s a nice thing to witness every now and then—especially when directed at her. It proves that he really is real, with feelings and thoughts and she finds that remarkable. It gives her a sudden boost of confidence. It makes her heart ache for him all the much more.