59:Belle Decides to Prove Herself

Arabelle D’Ewes

The fear in the air is palpable. Even the ship guards, with all their clean cut clothes and shiny buttons, cannot hide how scared they are. It is an animal fear, primitive, a caveman fear that once separated the survivors from the dead. Though the guards try to remain stony-faced, and stare straight ahead, their fear is evident in the dark circles of sweat appearing on their crisp new uniforms. Some shiver, and the man at the barometers even hides his head in his arms.

Women and children first… The words of Mr. Andrews echo in Belle’s head. And there are not enough lifeboats… These poor souls. They will remain on the ship. They are going to die, and they know it, and they are praying to God for a miracle.

Arabelle looks down onto the deck, where people have already begun to clump around the lifeboats in terrified herds. With their life vests, they could almost resemble curdled milk. Belle smiles bitterly. She prays, too.

“Sir?” A young, buck-toothed ship guard dashes into the room. He salutes smartly to Max.
Poor kid, Belle thinks. He’s so young. This is probably his first job. He’s probably sending the money back to his poor old mum. She’s probably very proud of him. No one is saying anything because they’d rather stare straight ahead and ignore the horrible, horrible truth—but he’s probably going to die tonight.

“At ease, Wilson.”

“I came as soon as I heard, sir. I handed the prisoner over to Mr. Lovejoy, sir.”

Prisoner, Wilson?”

“Yes, sir. You know, Dawson. Accused of theft. Sir,” the boy hastily adds.

Belle’s head turns so fast she hears her neck crack. Max’s face is red, and he looks ready to explode. “Prisoner?” he repeats. “Wilson, look me straight in the eye. As impossible as it sounds, this ship is sinking! We don’t take prisoners! We get everyone the hell out of here, whether they’re thieves or not, and we deal with that later! I can’t believe you—”

“Did you say Dawson?” Arabelle darts between the two ship guards. Max sputters in surprise, his rant cut off. Wilson looks absolutely alarmed, like a deer caught in the headlights. “Dawson what?” she demands.

“Um. I don’t—”

Don’t tell me you don’t know!” It can’t be. It can’t be him. Not my Jack. I can’t believe they would think he would steal anything. I know he’s innocent. He’s not like that.

“Um… J-Jack. Jack! Jack’s his name.”

Even though she expects this answer, Belle can’t stop her gasp. No… no, Jack, not now… It can’t be… We never got our time together. I never got to tell you— All she can think of is Jack. All she can think of is how he made her feel. She thinks of him now, chained up, in some small, dark, rotting hellhole. The ship guards have all run away. He’s alone, and the ship is sinking. The water is rising. Jack is drowning. He needs my help....

“Idiot!” Her scream makes even the captain jump. “How could you do that? Why did you do that? He’s innocent! Where is he?” Wilson blinks madly. Against all physical possibility, his eyes grow wider. “Where is he?”

“I-I don’t know!”

Belle pushes past him. Malcolm calls her name, but she ignores him now. I’ll find you, Jack. Belle is powered by fury. She leaps down the stairs. I’ll prove myself to you. I’ll find you no matter what it takes.

She heads for Rose’s room.