53:These Last Moments

I don't own these people....

Rose Dewitt Bukater

“You’re trembling,” Rose whispers, clasping tightly onto Jack’s bare back. The tips of her fingers dig into his unblemished skin. Her sweet breath turns to smoke in the air, but the cold has never felt so inviting.

“I’ll be alright,” he tells her gently, and she runs her hand through his damp, golden hair.

A little bit of pain, a lot of love, and a small, silk-white dress abandoned near the door of a Red Renault. Rose holds her breath, not ever wanting to let go of this moment.

 ...............................................................................................................................

Rose has enough time to redress, fluff her curls, kiss Jack on the cheek, and take in a deep breath before the thought that she’s in the vast storage room can even be conceived by Mr. Lovejoy. She and Jack skid up the stairs, through the hallways, and appear on Titanic’s exterior deck with moments to spare. Rose’s cheeks are bright pink from the cold and her laughter, but she shivers only from excitement. Jack twirls her around the deck, their hands always together, and they laugh even harder than a bar full of drunks.

For once, the deck is absolutely, wonderfully empty, and the joyous sounds of the pair echo all the way to the stars.

They can’t stop to save their lives, and they hold onto each other for support. Although she has a million different lovely things she wants to say, she can’t even manage to get out one word.  But the lack of breath tastes delicious on Rose’s excited tongue.

“Did you…” Jack gasps, “did you see those guy’s faces?”

All Rose can do is nod as she chocks and sputters on glorious laughter. She feels invincible—she and Jack could run to the ends of the earth, hand-in-hand, and never be caught. As long as they’ve got each other,  she knows they can do anything. They could dance atop clouds if they wanted to, put the universe on their bedroom walls if they wanted to--so that late at night they could just sit back and count the stars. 

A gentle breeze rustles through Rose's hair, like a message from angels, and she can suddenly feel her breathing begin to slow again. She feels so in charge and she loves it—the wonderful feeling of finally being able to decide for herself. She is free now, and she'll never have to fight for freedom again.

“Did you see.…” Jack starts, but Rose presses a gentle hand against his mouth to quiet him. She gazes into his deep eyes. They have a whole lifetime ahead of them, one that she’s so excited for. She’s never been this thankful for life, for a heart in her chest so full of feeling, so full of love.

“When this ship docks,” she tells him, removing her hand from his lips and placing it onto his soft cheek, “I’m getting off with you.”

“This is crazy,” Jack says. There's a smile painted onto his face that’s brighter than a hundred suns--his eyes like a million shining stars.

Rose grins, her cheeks huge. “I know. It doesn’t make any sense but,” She rubs her thumb against the side of his face.

Reason number nine: because of you, I have so many more years to think of so many more reasons.

“That’s why I trust it.”

He kisses her then, passionately like he just can’t get enough, and they hold each other under the blinding light of the moon. She loves the feel of his hungry mouth against hers, and the sweet taste of sugar between his lips. What they share, she knows, is powerful—something that only belongs to the two of them. It’s a miracle.

And when the ground begins to tremble beneath them, with fierce, alarming intensity, Rose doesn’t even notice, at first. She feels much too unstoppable to care, and she isn’t ready to part from Jack’s glorious embrace just yet. She isn’t ready to break this moment.

Moments. All of them pointing towards the same direction.