CHAPTER 10

Chadwick lowered his lashes, so she could not read his eyes.  She took his breath away tonight.  She had outdone herself, adorned in a stylish evening dress of silver mull, a gauze like material with broad low necklines.  It had tiny shoulder puff sleeves with blue tinsel embroidered all over.  The sleeve ends, neck line and overskirt had a continuous gold rope trim.   The bodice was not gathered at the waist; but was fitted with darts.    The gown had no train, for ease of dancing.  Surprisingly, but probably fashionably trendy, she did not have gloves on her slender delicate fingers but rather mitts.   Complimenting the spectacular gown, her petite ears looked beautiful in hoop earrings.  Her shinny hair was neatly coiffed and in a stylish hat that resembled a turban.  It was topped by a feather, turned low down in front and high at the back, worn at a rakish angle.  Her feet were covered in velvet slippers with leather soles fastened with ribbons around the ankle.

‘I want two waltzes on your card,’ Chadwick demanded.  He could not demand more even though he wanted to be the only one dancing with her tonight.  He knew it would be frowned upon, if she danced more than twice in one gentleman’s arms.

‘No---,’ she blurted, even though secretly she delighted that he would select the waltz for them to dance.  ‘I am saving one for Earl Rankin Swain.’ 
It was temporary bliss courting danger in the arms of this devil, but she needed to look after her future, somebody fine like Rankin fitted into her lifelong plans, not this---this attractive sinful pleasure giver.

‘It is appropriate for me to dance with you only  twice,’ he hissed angrily at her mention of that swine.  ‘Now slot me in before I do it myself,’ he instructed.

‘Do not bully---,’she did not finish her sentence but quickly scribbled with a pencil in her card, when he advanced threateningly towards her.

‘That is better my lady,’ he smiled charmingly.  ‘Now add me in for the country dance after supper as well’ he demanded again.  She meekly obliged as he towered over her, but gave vent to her anger afterwards.

‘Mr. Rochester you are an arrogant boar.’ 
Chadwick lifted lazy eyelids and grinned at her sardonically.  
  ‘And I do not care for your ungentlemanly ways,’ she seethed.  ‘Quite frankly you should be thrown out of Almack’s.

‘The patronesses adore me my lady,’ he chuckled.  ‘They consider me a most worthy gentleman, with charming manners, and off course my wealth stands me in good stead when they require a charitable donor.’  He spilled the last part not without some sarcasm for he knew some of the vindictive patronesses knew who to cream when it suited them. 

‘Off course the elegant Lady Sophia Jersey cannot be tainted with the same brush,’ Chadwick smiled mysteriously.  His eyes lifted.  He directed a gaze to the reception area where the charismatic Lady Sophia stood confidently with some of the other patronesses, smiling and welcoming all the patrons.

Madison gasped with disbelief at his complimentary words of praise for Lady Sophia. 
Had he---did they---?  Could Lady Sophia be his mistress?  Saints of Heaven!

 ‘You are as charming as a rattlesnake,’ she jeered.  ‘And you would assuredly be most comfortable in the sty with your fellow species.’

‘Come you have insulted me enough,’ he pulled her roughly.

‘Where---where are you taking me?’ her eyes filled with sudden trepidation.

‘Why, to our first waltz,’ he grinned, placing one arm casually on her waist, and using the other hand to hold hers in midair.  She smelt delightful he discovered, as he inhaled the sweet fragrance, like juicy ripe fruit.  He groaned softly thinking how juicy and delicious she would taste to his lips.  He would give half his wealth to carry the delectable beauty off in his arms straight to his chamber and ravish her the whole night long, but the chit was right.  He would be permanently abolished by the scheming patronesses.