CHAPTER 27

Madison looked out the carriage window.  It was nearing dusk.  She wondered where Chadwick would put up for the night.  Not that she minded much.  She was rather impressed with the convoy of three ducal carriages.  They were impressive, luxurious and most comfortable.  Though the horses would need to be fed and rested.  She, Granny Jean and Beth occupied one coach.  Chadwick’s grooms travelled in a second coach and a third coach carried their luggage.  Chadwick had insisted on being at the reins on the ladies carriage.  Pride filled Madison at how skilled a driver her new fiancé was.  She loved the sound of that even if it was only a mental one.

‘A penny for them,’ Granny Jean’s gentle voice interrupted her thoughts, next to her.  Beth, sat across from them, with her eyes closed.

‘I beg your pardon,’ Madison breathed embarrassedly.

‘There was rather a pleasurable smile hovering on your lips.’

‘It---is nothing, really,’ Madison studied her fingers.

‘I am pleased he has come.’

‘Who?’ Madison questioned, even though she knew.

‘The duke.  He was the one that shattered your heart into pieces.  Was he not?’ Granny Jean’s wise eyes held Madison’s.

There was no point denying it.  ‘How did you know?’

‘It was plain for the world to see sweet one,’ Granny Jean took Madison’s hand in hers.  ‘But now there is a new energy raging inside you.  You love him very much do  you not?’

‘Yes.’

‘I noticed how much when we were having breakfast,’ Granny Jean chuckled.  ‘If you had claws, you would have struck me.’

‘No---I---I do not know what you mean,’ but her inflamed cheeks gave her away.

‘You have nothing to fear dear one.  Those parts of my body do not even function anymore,’ Granny Jean chortled.

‘Granny Jean!’  The blush spread across Madison’s face, ears and throat.  She loosened the lace on her dress, trying to allow the breeze to cool her down.  ‘I apologize.  I should have spoken to you about Chad---about His Grace.’

‘You needed time,’ she smiled.  ‘I am glad he has not made you wait too long.  Now tell that man of yours, he must put out for the night.  I am full of dust.  I need a bath and a bed.’

Madison inhaled deeply before she knocked on the roof nervously with her parasol.  She heard a loud whistle.  Instantly the horses were brought to a placid halt. The carriage had not even once rocked as they became stationery.  When Chadwick stood at the open carriage door looking rather dash and debonair, like the way a strapping Duke should look, Madison’s eyes took her fill of him, as she let out a rushed breath.  She was rudely brought to order by a sharp knock to her side by Granny’s Jean’s elbow.

‘Um---Granny Jean would like to know where you will be putting up for the night,’ Madison tore hers eyes away from Chadwick’s with much effort.

‘That is not what I said,’ Granny Jean corrected.  ‘I said you must call it a day.  I am tired and hungry and in need of a bath.’

Chadwick looked up at the sky.  There was still an hour or two before night would fall.  He had hoped to cover a little more distance nevertheless, he had to take note of the Battleaxe’s needs.  She was not young.  They had covered sufficient ground for the first day.  He could make some allowances, especially since his delectable lady had not even once sulked or complained about how hard they had been riding today.

‘There is an Inn around that corner, about ten minutes away’ Chadwick pointed.  ‘We shall put up for the night and change horses there,’ he smiled pleasantly at the Battleaxe.