CHAPTER 28

‘Lady Madison, we are going to be late.  Please wake up,’ Beth urged.

‘No, I am tired,’ Madison groaned and snuggled deeper under the covers.

‘The duke’s been ready for an hour,’ Beth hoped that would get Madison out of bed.  ‘The carriages are all packed.  Even Mrs. Famworth is done with breakfast.’

‘Oh dear,’ Madison smiled and reluctantly threw off the covers.

Beth was pleased to see the broad smiled plastered across Madison’s cheeks.  ‘You are in a good mood this morning, Lady Madison.’

‘I am---so, so happy Beth,’ Madison stretched and hopped out of bed.

‘Why on earth are your shifts on the wrong way?’

Madison looked down critically at her night garments.  ‘I put them on in the dark.’  This was the truth.  After Chadwick had left her chamber, Madison had sleepily pulled her shifts over her head, not caring about how.  ‘Have you got hot water for me to bath with?’

‘You had a bath last night my lady.  Perhaps you can just wash this morning.  We are late,’ Beth reminded her.

‘I would like to bath please Beth,’ Madison avoided meeting Beth’s eyes.

‘Very well, I shall fetch two jars.  We must hurry.’

When Madison was all cleaned up and beautifully dressed in an emerald green velvet riding gown, she made her way downstairs, none too concerned about keeping her fiancé and her retinue waiting an entire hour.  She waltzed into the dining hall.  It was empty save for two familiar faces at a table.  It seemed the grooms had completed breakfast and were in the carriages.  Chadwick stood up as she approached their table.

‘Good morning,’ she beamed a smile at Chadwick.

‘Lady Madison,’ he greeted courteously.  He had hoped to leave an hour ago, but his gorgeous fiancée was having a time, getting out of bed, it seemed.  He could hardly admonish her, as it was he that had gone into her chamber and kept her awake until a godforsaken hour.

‘Morning Granny Jean,’ Madison dragged out, disappointed at Chadwick’s lukewarm greeting.

‘Did you not sleep well dear?’ Jean observed the dark shadows under Madison’s eyes.

‘It was rather warm last night,’ Madison’s cheeks coloured.  ‘I will just have some tea, then we can be on our way.’

‘Sit down and have breakfast,’ Chadwick instructed.  It was going to be many hours before luncheon and he did not want her fainting on him.

‘I am fine---I---.’

‘Sit down,’ Chadwick’s eyes brooked no argument.

Reluctantly Madison lowered herself into a chair.  She caught the hovering grin on Granny Jean’s face.  Madison scowled, picked up the menu and placed an order.  Chadwick ordered more coffee.  Jean declined anything further.  Madison had thought Chadwick was upset at her for keeping him waiting for an hour, but she found he was in a jovial mood, making conversation, teasing both ladies.  Granny Jean was in hysterics at his observations of the folk of the little village they had spent the night at. 

Madison was pleased when Chadwick offered her his arm as they walked to the carriage.  She stole a glance at him, but he was looking ahead at the carriages in front of them.  He helped Granny Jean in, indicated to Beth to follow the Battleaxe and just as Madison attempted to climb into the carriage, Chadwick held her back, captured her mouth and stole a kiss. Madison gasped.  Her finger instinctively went to her mouth, as if following Chadwick’s lips on hers.  She looked to see if they had been observed, but thankfully his broad shoulders had been a protective wall.