CHAPTER 19

‘You are leaving already baroness?  May I dance with Lady Madison before you leave?’

Madison’s head swung up.  

What game is he playing at now?

‘Madison?’  Her mother enquired of her questioningly.

‘I am tired mama.  I would like to leave.’

 ‘Baron Sanford is not with us Mr. Rochester.  I would like to get Madison home safely,’ Rachael spoke.

‘Allow me the pleasure of escorting you and Lady Madison home, baroness.’

‘I do not want to trouble you.  You may not have recovered sufficiently.’

Madison glared at the glass of scotch in his hand.  He pretended not to notice her disapproving glare.

‘You took very great care of me, my lady,’ Chadwick addressed Rachael.  ‘I would like to return the favour.’

‘Very well then,’ Rachael smiled.  ‘If Lady Madison does not mind to dance with you, then we may leave whenever you are ready.’

‘My lady?’ Chadwick smiled and held out his hand. 

Madison’s eyes were cold as she directed a frosty look at him.  She could not very well deny him. Not in front of her mother without arousing suspicion.’

Chadwick was not surprised at her haste to leave.  He had felt a cad, when he had seen the hurt in her eyes.  She was an extremely proud lady, yet she had asked him to dance.  And what did he do?  Stupid mule that he was, he had gloated as he rejected her.  She had been graceful in walking away with her head held high.  He watched her stealing away through the balcony.  He had wanted to go after her and apologize, but his stupid pride held him back.

 ‘Thank you,’ she grudgingly placed her hand in his.

What the hell was wrong with him?  He had categorically stated that he did not want to dance.  I had practically begged him to dance, just so I could legitimately steal a few moments in his arms.   He had denied me, as if it was a payback for the episode in his chamber at home.

‘Why are you so quiet?’ His voice was a whisper, his eyes mocking.

‘I thought you did not want to dance!’ her icy look could not melt his disarming smile.

‘Am I not allowed to change my mind?  Or is that only a lady’s prerogative?’

Somebody had opened the balcony doors.  The breeze picked up in the ballroom.  Chadwick’s fresh clean scent stirred her senses.  Her stomach wound in a tight knot.  Desire washed over her like a burning flame out of control.  She willed her mind to focus elsewhere.  In her periphery, she saw other couples gracefully moved around the dance floor.   The music soft and romantic could not warm her cold heart.  He had hurt her earlier.  All she wanted to do was cower in her chamber.  She wished she was already home.  She held him at arm’s length, willing her body not to respond to his magnetic charm.  She let her eyes travel around the room, so she did not have to look at his brooding eyes or worse his sensuous lips. 

Chadwick inhaled the sensual scent from her body.  He shut his eyes remembering the soft feel of her flesh against his heated lips.  He longed to take possession of her luscious rosy lips right this minute, but propriety forbid such scandalous behaviour.  He had to have her, or he would go insane.

‘Name the place,’ his seductive voice broke into her thoughts.

‘I beg your pardon?’ Her eyes met his uncomprehendingly.