Chapter 16: Slip Away

The heart monitor came back to life. However, Mark did not. He did not wake up. He did not twitch his fingers or his eyes like he usually did when he slept. He did not roll on his side and complain due to all the lights in his face. His heart was beating no doubt but my brother was frozen. Mind, body, and most likely soul. Why was life so cruel to him?

It has been three days and not only is he still in a coma but now his heart is failing. He needs a transplant and he's been put on a waiting list that is as long as the earth itself. Can't the guy catch a break?

This is all thanks to the bastard that attacked him. That monster did a real number on him. Six fractured ribs. Broken left leg and arm. Head trauma. Sprained neck. Had the bastard not stopped I might have a vegetable for a brother or none at all. They left him for dead. If I ever catch that punk I swear he will not live to make it to a hospital.

"Jared?" Mom rests her hand on my shoulder. "Come on sweetie you gotta get some rest."

"No, I'm not leaving."

"Jared..."

"Mom please."

She hugs me. "Nothing will happen to him if you leave okay... You need to rest."

"Look at him ma, he almost died. I should have been there with him..."

"Jared stop, don't you beat yourself up over this, this wasn't your fault honey."

"I thought I lost him... I thought.."

She places her finger over my lips and pulls me into her arms. "He's still here baby. He's still here"

He is still here. Fighting for his life instead of having me kick his but in league of legends at home. He is still here, trapped in a world he does not know he is in. I do not want him here with broken bones and wires stuck to him. I hate this so damn much.

"He's gonna pull through this, you know he can't leave us unless he beats all of your high scores."

Did I mention how much I love this woman? She always knows what to say. How to help through really tough situations. I may not know who targeted Mark but I will never let it happen again. If I have to handcuff him to my side to keep him safe I will. I smile at mom.

"Go home, baby."

My mom, Jordan, Mark, Jason, Jayda, Shane, Janaé, and Javed. I will do anything for them. It is my job to keep them protected. When anyone crosses the line and hurts any of them I will not let them get away with it.

******"How's Mark doing?"

I let out a long sigh. "He's hanging on."

Shane massages my shoulders. "How are you doing?"