Chapter 17: we're leaving...

"... fifty-nine... Sixty." I jump to my feet. "One minute, Sixty pushups."

Jason gets up and crosses his arms. "Hey, no fair you cheated."

"You're just too slow." I pull him into my side and give him a light noogie. He starts squirming and twisting to get away.

"I'm gonna get you back."

"In your dreams." I laugh.

Jayda's screaming erupts from the house. I let go of Jason and we run inside. She stops screaming but I know exactly where it came from.

The kitchen, where she is not supposed to be. I find her on her knees right next to the stove. A hand over her mouth trying to muffle her crying.

I eye her. "Who told you you could go to the oven?" She came inside to use the bathroom. I should have known she would end up here.

"I just wanted to do something nice to cheer everyone up."

I sigh and turn off the oven. "Then why didn't you ask for help... Are you trying to get hurt or burn down the house!"

"No." Her voice cracks.

"Don't start, you know you're not supposed to be playing with fire. Can't you stop being stupid for once Jayda what were you doing?"

"Trying to kill us all with her poison cookies" Jason jeered waving a bowl of cookie dough at us.I shoot him a look and he just grins in return. "Shut it."

"Mark likes my cookies... If he smells them he'll wake up like always." She sniffles.

Shit. Here I am being a mean asshole while she just wants to help. I look at her. She has her head down trying to secretly nurse her arm. I hope my daughter stays out of the kitchen in her early years. Jayda gives me enough grey hairs as it is.

I kneel to level with her. "Let me see."

She looks up at me with her glassy eyes. Then puts her hand in mine. Her palm and wrist are red. She put her hand in the oven without covering it.

"See why you're not supposed to be in here alone."

I pull her up and take her to the sink to get some running water on her hand."Jase get the first aid kit." He nods and runs off.

Jayda sniffles. "I'm sorry. I just miss Mark, he promised that he wouldn't leave and now he won't wake up."

I wipe away Jadya's tears. They haven't been able to see mark because of the condition he is in. We have not even told them about his failing heart. It is too much for them to process and we don't want to scare them. "Mark's gonna wake up potato, he won't leave us... And he's gonna kick my butt for this."