Chapter Forty-Six

I throw the door open and let out a hum of delight as I step into my parent's house and feel the cold AC breezing over my face and squashing the unbearable heat away from my skin that was practically suffocating me moments before outside, right as I'd stepped out of Emma's car. We've just gotten back from the last high school day, and all I want to do is pour a bucket of ice-cold water over my head.

 "Finally!" Emma lets out a sigh and slides down the entrance wall next to the door, landing on her arse onto the wooden floor with a muted thump. I press my forehead against the closed front door with closed eyes, drop my bag limply, agreeing whole-heartedly. 

"Oh, summer... I've been waiting for you since the beginning of the school year my dear friend..." I whisper, earning me a light giggle from Emma who's still seated on the floor. 

"I can't believe that our years of Hell are over..." She lets out with disbelief lacing her tone, and slowly gets up to her feet in a trance-like state, as if she can't really believe what has happened.

"And next year it will be universityyyyyyyyy!" 

I groan when I hear Mum's sing-song voice approaching us and turn just in time to see her figure move around the hallway's corner with a bright smile on her face and her hands clasped together in delight.

"Mum, we've already talked about this, I don't even know if I want to go to-"

"You will, and that's final." She suddenly says, and I freeze in shock when I hear the hard underlay of her voice. She's never been like this with me; she's always supported my decisions and choices, no matter what, dad alike. I set my jaw and glare at her as she flashes a happy smile and saunters off towards what I presume must be the kitchen from the delicious smell that reaches me.

"Well that was...-" Emma begins, glancing around the hallway awkwardly as I just stand there, staring straight ahead at the spot where Mum was just standing, and not moving a muscle. 

I'm pissed

I hear Emma sigh, and then my best friend's arms are pulling me in for a tight and comforting hug. I sigh as well and hug her back with gratitude shining through with the light squeeze of my arms that I give her. She squeezes back and I shake my head, "I'm sorry you had to hear that..." I mumble, and I feel her shake her head as well. 

"Don't be, I'm like your second sister remember? Your problems are my problems."

-I just can't believe the way she cut me down: she's always been supportive of me, and when we discussed university barely a week ago, she and Dad completely agreed that that way wasn't the best choice for me. They accepted my decision Emma; they supported me. What's changed so suddenly?

-I don't know Cami, I really don't know. But just never forget that I'll always stand by you and what you decide okay?

-Okay." I whisper. 

"You can let me go now." She says, and I frown.

"Huh?

-No offence hon, but you stink of sweat." She declares, and I pull back, swatting her playfully as she makes a big dramatic deal out of wiping a finger down her arm with disgust and inspecting the tip of her finger afterwards for traces of sweat.

"Amen." I grumble, which makes her smile and laugh lightly. She swats at my arm back. 

"Bitch.

-You started it. 

-I was stating the truth: you wouldn't want to be walking around all day around people stinking like arse and no one telling you, would you?" She states, and I fake gasp at her.