The Man on Death Row

"What if they get mixed up?" Hodgins asks, gesturing to our two beetles under a beaker.

"We can tell them apart." Zack says, gesturing to me and himself.

"That's Jeff and that's Ollie." I say, pointing to each beetle. We watch as a beetle crawls over our tape circle. "We win."

"What? That one was mine!" Hodgins complains.

"You had Jeff, we had Ollie. Ollie won." Zack explains simply.

"You owe us each a buck." I say, holding out my hand. Hodgins places a dollar in each of our hands.

"You want in on the action, Angela?" Hodgins asks as Angela walks by.

"No, thank you. I'm going to go have sex." she says proudly.

"Have a good time.", "Yeah, okay.", "Don't get lost." Hodgins, Zack, and I all say half-heartedly.

"Don't get lost?" Hodgins asks me, making me shrug.

We place the beetles back in the beaker ad lift it again. "Ollie wins again." Zack says.

"Look, I demand another beetle. Jeff has a groin pull." Hodgins says.

"Arthropods do not posses groins. Pay up." Zack says as we both hold out our hands.

"Okay, our tax dollars hard at work." Booth says, walking over.

"Yeah, what's break time at the FBI? Book burning?" Hodgins asks. Booth takes the beaker and puts it over a beetle, making Hodgins groan in frustration, then put another dollar in our hands.

"Hey, Bones, what are you doing this weekend?" Booth asks, walking over to Dr. Brennan.

I follow as they walk into the bone room.

"A 17 year old girl was found beaten to death in a federal park." Booth says. "And Amy's just trying to stop the guy who did it from being executed."

"Howard Epps, right?" I ask.

"Yeah. Amy doesn't think he did it." he explains to Brennan and I.

"What does this have to do with you?" Brennan asks.

"Oh, well, if Amy's cllient is deep-sixed, and she doesn't turn over every stone-"

"And you're one of her stones?" I ask.

"Do you think he did it?" Brennan asks Booth.

"yes." he says assuredly.

"What's her reasoning?" Brennan asks.

"There was a, uh, pubic hair that wasn't accounted for." Booth says

"Pubic hair? It sounds like a job for the FBI crime lab." Brennan says.

"It's a weekend job." Booth says. "Off the books. But if you have plans-" he turns to leave.

"Wait." Brennan says. "This is a personal favor you're asking?"

"Not for me. For Amy." Booth explains.

"Well, your personal favor would be for Amy, but ours would be for you, strictly speaking." i say pointedly.

"Please, do me a favor." booth pleads.

Brennan sighs and takes the file. "Any remains witheld from burial?"

"Not after the last appeal." Booth says

"I need x-rays from the M.E.s and the original coroner. Originals. The copies are useless." Brennan orders. "Bone scrapings, lab results, tox screens."