Ch 14: Unpleasant Emotions

Recap:

Nic's mouth twitched. "Yes, I forgive you."

"YAY!!" Cess jumped up and down, clapping her hands. "THANK YOU!! And this time, just you wait and see, I'll never put lactulose in your coffee again!"

"Thank you." He said dryly, and went to sit in his chair. Then he abruptly stopped mid-way, muscles tensing. "Wait." He turned to stare at her. "What did you say?"

"Oh, yeah..." Cess mumbled, unable to look him in the eye. "Oops?"

-------------------------

"Oh, come on, Nic... you have to admire the girl's persistence." Sophia smirked as she helped herself to some of the sandwich in Nic's hand.

Nic pursed his lips as he watched her, but refrained from commenting.

"And, from what you told me about the other day, you kind of did deserve it."

"Whose side are you on?" Nic sat up in his chair, annoyance etching his features. "That girl is nothing but trouble! Since the moment I met her I knew that she was a spoilt little princess. But this is just the limit! If she ever goes anywhere and she doesn't like what someone has to say, will she go around playing stupid pranks on them?! I was lucky that I decided not to wear the suit she'd put itching powder in, otherwise I'd be suffering that discomfort, too! The next time she doesn't like something I say, maybe she'll decide to unleash a pet snake on me, or maybe let ants down my trousers?!"

Sophia snorted, as she finished off the sandwich and made herself comfortable on his knee. He settled back to allow her on, head resting on top of hers.

"Well, that would be pretty funny," she turned her head to grin at him.

Nic glared at her.

"But, seriously, why don't you two just make up? You both have to work together for the next few months, so you might as well get along. Otherwise, what are you going to say to her father?"

His jaw hardened. "I'm going to tell him of his daughter's behavior. Enough is enough. I'm a very busy person, and I don't have time to babysit anybody. I'd thought that the daughter of a man like him would be responsible and mature, not a bratty little child!"

Sophia's eyes widened at his outburst, as she just stared as his face, speechless. Suddenly her eyes caught on something behind Nicolas, causing her eyes to widen even further. She jumped up from her seat.

"Cess!"

Nic jolted around, only to see a pair of emerald green eyes shining brightly at him, before the figure blurred as it ran back out the office door.

Sophia spun around to face him, furious. "Sometimes, Nicky, you're really too much!"

She ran out of the office, after Cecilia.

For the first time in a long time, Nic felt the weight of guilt settle deep in the pit of his stomach. Leaning his head back in his seat, he closed his eyes and let out a sigh - only to have those large green eyes flash through his mind again, lashes wet with unshed tears.

"F*ck!" He sat up abruptly, running his hands through his short hair.

But even open, his eyes seemed to see only her.

Her, as she begged for forgiveness, sweet and sincere... her, as she fought with him, desperate to prove herself his equal... her, as she trembled beneath him, lips parted, eyes wide... her, as she laughed and smiled in excitement when she'd obtained his forgiveness... and then lastly, when he had destroyed that smile... her wounded eyes staring at him with betrayal...