Chapter Twelve

This chapter was an absolute nightmare to write. It was incredibly hard to make it sound like it was flowing well.
This may call for some serious editing and reconstructing in the future, but right now this is what you get :P
Hope you enjoy!
~~~

The Prince stood up immediately, a shocked and pleading expression on his face. Rose wanted to leave, but his gaze held her there and she found she was unable to move. He kept a safe distance between them, as if he were afraid to draw too near. Dark bags lined his eyes. He looked as though he had not slept, but that was impossible. Surely he had not been awake all night.

They exchanged intense gazes. There was tension between them, yet mingled with longing, hopelessness, friendship, and respect. Tristan took one hesitant, small step towards her and immediately Rose felt like fleeing. How her heart would break if she grew too close to him only to have him taken from her. I must go. She stumbled and turned around to leave the secret garden.

"Wait! Don't go, please," Tristan's voice pleaded. Two sides of her heart pulled at her, threatening to break her in two. One half urging Rose to protect herself, the other begging her to stay with the Prince. "I am sorry; I did not mean to frighten you last night. My actions were careless, do not let my behaviour scar our friendship."

"I was not frightened," Rose answered, staring at a hedge. She refused to turn around and face him. Sadness engulfed her. Did he regret dancing with her and kissing her hand? The thought was both a blessing and a curse.

"Then why did you run from me?" He asked her. She could hear his voice was laden with confusion and hurt.

"I ran because... because I am afraid," Rose murmured, fighting back tears.

"But you just said you were no-" Rose turned around and immediately Tristan stopped speaking.

"I am not afraid of you or your actions, my lord. But I am afraid of what they will lead to." Rose moved her gaze to stare at the grass. She could hear the sound of the Prince's footsteps shuffling towards her.

"So many cryptic answers," he murmured. Rose looked up at him. He was standing near, a thousand emotions seemed tangled on his face.

"I am sorry."

"You are right to be afraid," the Prince said, ignoring her comment. "I am the Prince; you are my sister's servant." Rose's heart plummeted at his words. They were true and what she had been telling herself all along, but to hear Tristan confirm them seemed to bring a harsh finality.

"I should go."

"No! Please," he cried out, reaching for her arm. He stopped before he touched her and dropped his arm back to his side.

"What are we doing, Tristan?" Rose asked as tears began to form in her eyes. "You saved me from the streets and from the wolf. You called me your friend and danced with me last night until you were unable to let me go. But I am a servant and to ever agree to your friendship was wrong of me. But then you kissed my hand and... and... you leave me with so many questions and so much confusion."

"I know," he murmured gently. He raised one hand to his face and held ran it through his hair, as though he could wipe away the stress and confusion they both felt. "I feel the same way. I know I should stay away from you; it would be my greatest shame if your reputation was hurt because of me. I tell myself that I should stay away only to discover that I can't. I can't stay away from you, Rose." Rose shook her head at his words. They could not and must not be true.

"I must go." She turned and ran as fast as she could, the secret garden was behind her in seconds.

"Rose!" Her heart sped up as she heard him call her. He was following her. No, no, no. Tristan, stronger and taller than she, caught up to her easily. His hand was suddenly on her arm, pulling her until she was drawn to a halt.