Chapter Twenty

Dedicated to xx_staygold_xx who went on a huge voting and commenting spree, totally spamming my notifications and making my day! Thank you for the support, I couldn't stop smiling! :) x 
~~~

Tristan left the ball feeling exuberant and joyful. The ball had been a huge success and had run smoothly – and to make it even more perfect, he had managed to spend some time with Rose. He chuckled to himself as he recalled her expression when Suzanna saw them together. He probably should have told Rose he had confided in his sister, but he had so badly wanted to see her reaction. He had not seen Rose for the rest of the evening – not even from a distance, but he had been distracted having to socialize with the guests.

He left the ballroom and nodded to a few of the guards on duty. He began walking to the staircase that would lead to his chamber, tired and eager to rest.

"Tristan," someone called quietly. Tristan looked around curiously, half expecting to see Rose waiting for him. He blinked when in the distance he noticed his sister. He walked up to her and was surprised to see her face anxious. Next to her stood Mistress Eudora who had her hands up to her cheeks in worry.

"What is wrong?" Tristan asked as he approached them.

"Rose is missing," Suzanna stated. Tristan's eyes nearly popped out of his sockets.

"What?" He asked, as his heart plummeted.

"I gave her a break from serving, Your Highness," Mistress Eudora began.

"And when I saw her she said she was going to step outside to clear her head," Suzanna continued.

"And?" Tristan pressed.

"She never returned, my lord," Mistress Eudora whispered. Tristan stopped himself from bolting out of the room in search for her – he needed facts.

"Have you searched the castle? Perhaps she is only resting in another room."

"We have searched everywhere we could think of. The servants and guards have not seen her since she left the ballroom," Suzanna told him. The breath was sucked out of Tristan. A pain so great swelled from his heart as panic flowed through him. Rose... missing.

He turned around and tried to catch his breath; it would not help anyone to panic about losing her. She could not have been gone for more than a few hours. Perhaps she was safe and just taking a walk. But with the current threat of the rebel group, Tristan knew it could not be true. Something had happened to Rose.

Tristan clutched his chest. His heart seemed to ache at the thought of her being gone. How could he lose the one thing that was most precious to him? Rose... He needed to find her and bring her home. Tristan turned around to look at the women.

"Where was she when she told you she was going outside?" He asked Suzanna.

"The hallway by the library," she responded with wide eyes.

"Oh, my lord, you do not think something terrible has happened to her?" Mistress Eudora asked anxiously.

"I do not know, but I am going to find out. I will find her if it is the last thing I ever do," he vowed. "If she was by the library, she probably went to the closest exit of the castle. Excuse me." Tristan turned and ran in the right direction. He gestured to a few of the guards to follow him.

Tristan ran to the closest exit from the library – a small door in the side of the castle. He stepped through and looked outside anxiously. No Rose. A groan caught his attention. Just up ahead, a man was on his knees, struggling to stand up. The guards raced forward to help him.