Chapter Twenty-Three

"There they are," one of the twins said.

Rose raised her head to look where the man was pointing. In the distance she could see a clearing. Rose frowned but did not speak as the horses walked toward the area. As they drew nearer, the details came into view. Rose gasped quietly.

The clearing was full of people, at least twenty of them. They were both male and female, old and young. There were small tents and shelters spread out in the clearing. Some people looked wary, and some looked comfortable and proud.

A big, burly man was waiting for them. He had brown hair and dark, almost black eyes. His arms were crossed and his face was serious. Rose felt intimidated just looking at the size of him. He had a sword strapped to his side, and three different daggers sheathed and strapped to his belt. Eliad rode up to the man and stopped. The twins followed and halted their own horses.

"Eliad," the big man greeted, tipping his head once. He did not bother to spare a glance at Rose. Eliad nodded and hopped down from his horse. Rose was left sitting awkwardly on the saddle.

"What news, Rhett?" Eliad asked.

"We have twenty-three new recruits. Fourteen of them have at least a little experience with weapons. Twelve of the recruits were eager to join our cause - the others had to be... convinced," the man called Rhett spoke, unflinching. Rose stared at him with wide eyes.

"Good. I am pleased," Eliad responded. The twins dismounted and led their horses away, disappearing into the crowd. Most of the people had stopped to observe the newcomers.

"Did your trip prove useful?" Rhett asked.

"Not as useful as I would have hoped. I got to knock out a knight though, so it was not all disappointment," Eliad said with a chuckle. Rhett laughed along with him. Rose felt sick at the thought of the men laughing at the suffering of another.

"Who is the girl?" Rhett asked, barely pausing to glance at her.

"Rose."

"The beggar?"

"Yes, we found her," Eliad said, talking as if Rose was not right there. "The silly girl was walking alone outside at night." Rhett snorted and Rose felt an ashamed blush warm her cheeks.

"What do you want done with her?"

"Tie her inside my tent for now. I will deal with her later - right now I am hungry and eager for lunch," Eliad said with a smirk. Rose's heart thundered away. His tent? Alone in his tent? She was so afraid she wondered if she was about to pass out. "You," Eliad turned, pointing firmly at Rose. "Don't cause any trouble," he warned. He left his horse with Rhett and walked off. Rose swallowed, her mouth dry.

Rhett walked up to her and, without a word, lifted her from the saddle seemingly without effort. Rose contemplated kicking and fighting him, but fear held her still. Rhett slung her over his shoulder and walked with a steady gait to the largest tent. It was big enough for a tall man to stand comfortably, and had enough room for multiple people to enter.

The tent was empty when they arrived. Rhett placed Rose down on her feet and reached for a long rope that was laying against the tent wall.

"Kneel," he ordered, not bothering to look at her. Rose hesitated for a moment, then knelt before Rhett became angry. He bound her hands behind her back with one end of the rope and tied the other end firmly to a single, wooden pole in the middle of the room. He left the tent without a word, pulling the entrance flap closed.

Rose was submerged into a dim darkness, the only light coming from gaps between the tent fabric. The bleakness of the room matched the bleakness of her situation. Everything felt so futile.