Chapter 15

Chapter Fifteen

The walk back to school is a lovely silence, with Evan sneaking glances back at me every so often. His cheeks are an adorable shade of pink, and I have to work hard to resist the urge to reach over and pinch them. Somehow, I think that just might be enough to mortify him. We arrive all too soon, and I can't say I'm happy about that.

"Look, Avery," Evan stops me just before the main doors. "That was fun, we should do that again."

"Evan," I smile slyly, "are you asking me out on a date?" I watch as he turns a bright fire truck red before shaking his head quickly.

"No!" Evan stammers, before backtracking, realizing how that must have sounded offensive on my part, "I mean, I uh- I kind of want to but I don't know if you... you..."

"Well then," I sigh in light disappointment before placing a hand on his shoulder. "Evan, will you go on a date with me?" His mouth opens and shuts a few times as he stares at me. I glare at him hopefully, (I don't even know how one manages that) "Don't leave me hanging after I say something awkward like that! Come on Evan, give me an answer!" My pleading finally manages to get past his shell shocked exterior before he nods vigorously, a huge excited grin running round his face. I feel something inside me lift for that moment, as if all my worries don't exist, as if I've just completed three pirouettes. It makes me deliriously happy. Does Evan feel like that too?

I watch as a shy smile slides over his lips, before he nods mutely. Somehow, this doesn't seem like the outgoing and cheeky Evan I know- but I realize that, that was just a mask- That Evan hides his insecurities, his low self esteem behind a facade of joviality and wit. I think back to earlier today, when he admitted to being frustrated over his handling of our pax de deux. Yet, no one can be a good dancer a few weeks, especially after dancing for the corps de ballet for so long, and he needs to understand that. This soft and hesitant side to Evan doesn't drive me away- no, it makes him more human in my eyes. For that, I like him even more. 

"Tomorrow then, after classes?" Evan speaks up, eagerness apparent in every syllable, "Where do you want to go?"

"Surprise me," I laugh, before ruffling his hair and walking my separate way to the girl's dormitory. I stop in surprise as my way is blocked by a crowd of anxious girls huddled around the notice board, whispering over a sheet of red paper. I shove my way through and stare at the printed words, hiding the maker's handwriting. 

"One of you is not who she seems to be."

My heartbeat picks up as I scan the rest of the words, already guessing what this is about. It doesn't stop me from praying that I'm wrong, though.

"Sentenial, Champion of the Underground, is a Dancer."

Sweat beads on my forehead and rolls down the side of my face, then my neck, leaving chills in its wake.

"She has fooled all of you, lied to and betrayed her friends."

My fists clench as Nat's face swims into my vision.

"What are you going to do about it?

- James Loyer."

Nothing. Absolutely nothing, I cannot speak up for fear of the scorn I would receive, yet I cannot allow this to go on. How many girls will be devastated by the rumours flying around? How many fingers will be pointed, and how many innocents will watch their social lives crumble away? How can Loyer be so reckless? Making it public knowledge? It would not be hard for one of the teacher's to come across this, leading to further investigations. It might mean the end of the Underground. A figure slips out of my peripheral, too stocky to be that of a female's. Anger courses through my veins as I make a split second decision to go after him. I push through the clamouring girls, running full out towards the silhouette, framed by the late afternoon light. "You!" I yell, skidding to a stop in front of his amused smirk. Shoving a finger into his chest, I tilt my head upwards to glare at him, ignoring his condescending stare. "What do you think you're doing?!" My words echo through the halls, and I finally see how rash this decision has been. The attention of the girls have shfted from the incriminating poster to the two of us, some already trying to figure out the connection. Still, I cannot back down now, it would only serve his pride and ego. 

"What makes you think any of us are as violent and crazy like you?" I demand furiously, using this anger to hide the shame and the horror of my hypocrisy. "You lost! So what? Can't you take failure like a man? Instead of hunting down who the girl is? Wake up, Loyer! You're not in elementary anymore! Just learn to get up and walk away!" His eyes darken and the playboy smirk fades away, only to be replaced by a malicious sneer. Before he can say anything, I cut him off. "What do you plan to do anyway? Demand a rematch? If she's beaten you the first time, she can again! Then what? Fight again? It's never going to end if you keep going on like this! Learn from your freaking mistakes and be the bigger person!" 

"You don't know how humiliating it was," Loyer sneers, taking a step forward. In spite of all my bravado, I take another step back. "to be beaten by a slight girl in an underhanded move. Sentenial knows nothing of honour if she can resoirt to that." I flinch as he leanes forward, burning eyes glaring a hole into mine, "So when I find her, I intend to make sure she never," his voice lowers to a whisper, menacing in it's own right, "ever," his last words are simple, but they are enough to strike a sliver of fear into my heart, "fights again."

"OI." A dainty hand pulls me away from him, and it curls into a wobbly punch that lands smack on his nose. It isn't enough to break it, but it catches him unawares and sends him stumbling back a few paces, "You leave her alone!" I stare at Nat as she places her arms on her hips, glaring at Loyer with the wrath of an avenging seraph, "Now get the hell out of here before I report you to the teachers!" Loyer straightens and shoots Nat a scathing glance before turning and sprinting away. She immediately wraps me in her arms, in a comforting hug. In the embrace of my friend, I should feel safe, so why do I feel uneasy? It hits me as Nat pulls away to ask after my well being- Loyer never backs down from a fight. So why would he run from Nat, of all people? The realization comes with a chill,

He's planning something.