Chapter Fifteen

Showered and rested, Conor and I were getting ready to go out a few hours later in our room.

'How much of that stuff do you actually read?' I hedged asking, sitting on the bed in my underwear and a t-shirt as Conor rummaged around in his suitcase for something to wear.

He looked back at me over his shoulder, grinning. 'Why?'

'Same question back at you,' I said dryly, and he laughed.

'It comes up in my tags,' he explained. 'Sometimes I get sucked in.'

'But why?' I asked.

Giving up on his task for now, he came over and crawled up on the bed beside me, pulling me down so we were laying facing one another. He started playing with my hair absently. 'Some of them really are just sweet. I wouldn't go back to all that angst and insecurity and tension for anything but sometimes it's kind of fun to think about how exciting it was.'

'Hmm,' I mumbled noncommittally. 'Just as long as you don't start asking me to dress up like a dog-person or one of your brothers.'

Conor laughed and shoved me on the arm. 'Promise,' he agreed, sitting up.

'And don't write any weird songs about it either,' I warned him. 'I recently discovered that I'm actually a very easy-going and lenient boyfriend to even let you write any songs about me at all. I'm starting to think I should have more creative control.'

'I tried to get you to write a song with me once, remember? All you did was spend over an hour with your nose in the dictionary trying to find words that rhymed with your name.'

'Yeah, and I found three, and I haven't heard them in any songs since then. Do you not take me seriously as a songwriter, it that it?'

'If you want me to somehow shoe-horn the words Tyler and defiler into the next album I'll do it,' he said seriously. 'If you are sure that it's what you really want.' He raised an eyebrow at me challengingly.

'Maybe it is,' I said archly.

He shrugged like it was no big deal to him. 'Fine. I'll get to work writing some sort of viking-themed anthem in which Tyler the Defiler raids a village. You're welcome.'

'How many songs on the next album are about me, anyway?' I asked.

'All of-'

'And don't say all of them!'

He laughed. 'This is why you should let me give you producer credits. I'd have nothing to write about if you didn't agree to put up with me.'

'You found stuff to write about before me,' I pointed out.

'Yeah. Important early works such as "He Only Notices Me When I'm A Dick" and "2 Closeted 4 You".'

I laughed now too. 'I didn't only notice you when you were a dick,' I told him. 'You're literally a famous person. And you were crazy hot. I definitely noticed that.'

Conor grinned, but it was one of those heart-melting grins that had real emotion behind it. 'Well at least I had that. Are you ready?'

'Yeah,' I said, quickly struggling into a pair of skinny jeans and my shoes.

We met the others in the main living room and made our way downstairs. Sarah had hired a car and we all spilled inside, making our way slowly through the Manhattan traffic to the club.

Arriving at any venue with Name Withheld is a hectic affair, but the band had mercifully decided not to Tweet about their attendance and we managed to make it inside after only a few minutes of loud excitement from the people shuffling along the roped-off queue by the door.