Chapter Five

My body felt so light. It was as if I was on a giant puffy cloud floating thorough wide, bright blue skies. It was absolutely fantastic. The sun felt unbelievable and I wanted to bask on my little cloud for the rest of my life.

But then reality hit me and I was suddenly awake, completely alert and, while not in pain, unsettled. My body felt different and, sitting up, I suddenly wondered why.

My corset, pants and boots were gone. Instead, the pale blue dress I had stolen from Jack’s house slithered perfectly over my body. It felt like silk but so, so much better and far more suited for my skin than anything else I had ever worn.

I looked over to a small, white wood night stand and relaxed slightly as I saw my clothes folded in a neat little pile. My shoes were on the floor by the bed I was lying on and one shift told me immediately why I dreamt of floating on a cloud.

The bed was a giant, puffy rectangle with thick blankets in a similar white to the bedside table. The feel of it was comforting and I found myself wanting to dig back into the covers and not come out for another few hours.

I kicked my legs over the edge disdainfully and hoped that I wouldn’t fall if I tried to stand. My fear was unfounded as my feet touched the warm marble floor and I squirmed a bit, my thoughts returning to the Fire Palace. A different fear swelled inside me and I told myself that there was no way Jack would have been able to find me.

I crossed the room and lifted my head to the dark blue ceiling. Stars twinkled far above and I found the sight soothing as I turned my attention to the door—rather, the lack of a door.

The room was a relatively decent sized square that held the amazing bed, a night stand and what seemed to be a toy box of sorts. The walls and ceiling were all painted a night-sky blue while the floor was a darker, grey-colored marble.

While familiar, I was still a bit unnerved that there was no door and, therefore, no way to escape or leave the room, should I wish. But, at the same time, I couldn’t help but wonder if there was something I was missing.

I pressed my hand against the nearest wall and gasped as my hand fell right through it up to my elbow. I retracted the limb suddenly and took a breath before stepping through the wall.

The dress slithered around my calves and ankles and I found myself soothed by the strangely familiar sensation. I was actually finding myself confused at how many familiar sensations I was suddenly experiencing.

It felt familiar to be in the room and on the bed. It felt familiar to be wearing the dress. It felt familiar to be stepping through walls and walking through darkness.

I couldn’t explain it perfectly, but it simply felt familiar to be where I was. It felt natural—even more natural than working at the Raven.

The blackness suddenly gave way as large chunks of crystals appeared, glowing brightly in various shades of blues and greens. I touched one of them lightly and it reacted, pulsing several times in blue ripples and I smiled.

“You’re awake,” a voice said, astonished. “After Acheron, I am surprised you’re up and moving this quickly.”

I searched for the owner of the voice but, in the small, glowing hallway, I seemed to be alone.

“Then again,” the person continued. “You are Clarity. It doesn’t surprise me all that much that you would wake up this soon.”

I turned sharply, my black hair tossing messily in my face at the swift movement, and warm hands suddenly held onto my shoulders, pulling me into a tight embrace.

“I’ve really missed you,” the person whispered softly. “I am so glad you’re back home.”

Hot lips pressed against my own and I felt my eyes widen in surprise before I shoved the male away, covering my mouth in shock.