Chapter Nine

The world spun around and around and I briefly wondered if I was in a giant toilet that had just been flushed. The feeling made me sick and it took everything I had not to get sick.

It seemed like all I did when I was in the fey lands was trying to get kidnapped, die or retch all over the place. In theory, it was a good, solid, natural plan. But in reality, it was just tedious and annoying and altogether time consuming.

Valin’s feet hit the floor first but I wasn’t as lucky as I fell on my back. There was no “just my bottom” about it. And it wasn’t a very nice sensation.

“Are you alright?”

Valin crouched at my side, his hand cupping my cheek and I pulled back in surprise and suspicion. The knife he had was tucked in his pocket along with the others but I was quickly learning that I didn’t have to see him take them out for him to get one.

“I’m fine,” I said hesitantly. “I just fell.”

His arms slid around my waist and he lifted me gently onto my feet, not quite lifting me off the ground.

“Was that too high?” he asked after a moment. “You…Clarity was always petrified of heights. She would get exceedingly sick if she saw she was up too high.”

“Unfortunately, I share that same lovely feeling,” I sighed. “But that wasn’t too high. I’m fine even with being carried now so long as I don’t look at the ground. The moment I do…”

I shuddered and found myself a bit confused at the smile he gave me.

He was supposed to find me disgusting and ruined. He had even claimed to hate me. So why was he smiling and nearly laughing at my words, as if he was actually enjoying them?

“You are so confusing,” I whispered.

He smiled a bit wider before taking my hand and sliding into beneath his arm so my hand was tucked firmly into place at the curve of his elbow. The sensation was familiar and unsettling all at once but I tried my best to ignore it.

My first concern above everything else was finding out why I was with him.

“Where are we going?” I asked as he stepped into a hallway.

I was surprised that his hallway was an actual hallway. If anything, it was more of a long corridor that extended on before turning sharply to the right. Small tables were set up every few feet with either potted plants or figurines set up atop the smooth, glassy surface.

The fact that everything was made out of ice and glass was both beautiful and terrifying because I knew a skilled killer like Valin could use even ice as a weapon—especially ice this hard.

“Are you afraid?” he whispered, his lips brushing my ear. “I have you here, all alone. I could easily kill you.”

“There are worse things you can do than kill me.”

I stepped away from him, hugging myself as I looked out of one of the arched windows. The courtyard was just as bare as the icy tundra and I found myself sighing at the bleak landscape.

All my life, I had thrived on life and color and even when I was somewhere I hated, I loved the Firen and Spiriten Lands. They were so full and vibrant—the felt as if they were living.

“What’s wrong?”

Valin’s hand caressed my back and I stepped away, slapping his hand back. He stared at me in shock and I simply glared.

“What I was doing before wasn’t an act. It’s who I am.” I crossed my arms firmly, leaning into the wall. “I’m not the same type of person that Clarity was. Yes, we look the same. Yes, we sound the same. Yes, we have the same name. But that does not mean we are the same person. It doesn’t mean that whatsoever. The sooner you get that through your head, the better.”

I turned on my heel, stalking back to the bedroom and I could feel the anger and confusion radiating off of Valin.

He couldn’t have expected me to go with him and play the part of the nice little wife. If he had expected that, then he was a bigger idiot than I gave him credit for.

I closed the door to the bedroom and slid the deadbolt in place. The fact of being locked in was actually more comforting then knowing I was free.

The bed didn’t even look inviting in the least. It looked like a giant block of semi-frozen ice with blankets. After a short adventure, I discovered there were more blankets in the closet and I laid several thick ones on the ground for cushions and covered myself with the rest in a makeshift bed.

I wasn’t cold in the least but I wasn’t fond of being here. And I wouldn’t be stay.

Not for more than a few days.

Someone knocked on the door and I pulled the covers over my head, ignoring them. Tomorrow, I could try playing the nice little princess role but tonight I had been through too much to even begin to think about acting.

I would probably get about as far as a singing wet cat—lots of hissing and clawing. And that was definitely not something I needed; especially since the Queen of the Icen Lands was liked to meet with me eventually. It was one meeting I couldn’t avoid forever.

The person knocked again and I closed my eyes, snuggling closer into the fake bed as I ignored them again. The sound grew impatient but I couldn’t care less let alone give a damn.

I would pretend I was in mourning if I had to, to get a bit of peace and quiet.

The lock clicked out of place and I tried to pretend I was sleeping. I kept thinking that I didn’t need to attack the intruder and have a cat episode, but I was willing to throw one if that meant I got a little sleep.

Fey may not have needed sleep but my body had adjusted to it. And I was more than a little positive that I had gone more than a few days without any sleep at all—not to mention I hadn’t eaten until what I thought was yesterday.

Measuring time in the Fey Lands was absolutely impossible—they never had suns and only the Spiriten Lands had the moon. None of which ever set. Ever.

“Clarity?” Valin whispered, the bed dipping slightly. “Are you asleep?”

I feigned sleep, trying to regulate my breathing and stay as still as I could. My body remained mostly relaxed even as Valin brushed my hair from my face.

“Clarity,” he whispered again. “Can you hear me…?” A pause. “I love you.”

My heart contracted and it took everything I had to stay still and not make a noise. Most of it was covered, thankfully, as he climbed beneath the covers, pulling me close.

I wasn’t short by any standard but I hadn’t realized how tall, Valin was. Or even Jack, really, though Valin was the taller. But the feel of Valin was so different than what I expected—so much softer and warmer.

His arm fell gently over my waist and my eyes went wide as I could feel his hot breath on my neck and I tried to think back to the only time I had ever been held in such a way.

Jack had held me when we were in the Spiriten Lands. It was surprising to wake up to but I had ruined it all by kissing him. I couldn’t remember much past the kiss but I had a feeling that, even if I kissed Valin, I would remember the gentle, intimate touches he gave me in sleep.

I closed my eyes, leaning into him slightly and frowned.

Seeing the gentler, caring side of Valin was a bit unnerving and so unlike his normal cruel, killing demeanor. Hell, for all I knew he was probably plotting to kill me in his sleep and was just waiting for the right moment.

But I still understood why Clarity had loved them both. From a distance, they looked exactly the same but, in truth, they were much, much different.

My lips curved up in a slight smile as Valin held me a little bit tighter and I was actually okay with falling asleep in his arms. If he killed me…then I was an easy target. But something deep inside my chest told me to trust him.

And so, I did.