Chapter Eleven

I smiled down at the woman in the courtyard as friendly as I could. Which wasn’t very.

Since Valin’s proclamation of our false engagement and then his…thoughts on my heart and Jack, things had been far from easy. If anything, they had been so confused and twisted that they no longer made any sense.

When we were in public, saying people swarmed us was hardly good enough. They were like insects in the summer at a marshy swamp—everywhere and all over you. In public, Valin was always smiling and hugging me and giving me loving kisses.

When the people were gone, it was a very different story.

I couldn’t remember the last time Valin had actually visited me. It had been almost two weeks since the incident with his mother and yet he hadn’t even dropped by to make sure I was alright. When I would see him, it was almost as if I was invisible to him and, despite not wanting his affection, I found myself craving it.

And each time I wanted his kiss or touch, I had to remind myself that it wasn’t actually me who wanted it, rather Clarity’s heart. None of what was happening was what I wanted.

What I wanted was to go home and forget the whole mess had ever happened. Forget the kidnapping and that my best friend was fey. Forget the strange lands and Jack and Valin. Forget the Queens and tree people and other distorted creatures. I wanted to go home.

“You!” someone whispered. “Hey you!”

I scanned the ground looking for the children who normally played near my window. I guessed that they were trying to get someone’s attention…until I didn’t see any children that weren’t half a mile away.

“Clarity!” the voice hissed. “Don’t ignore me!!!”

The child-like tantrum sounded familiar and I turned, looking around the room. I felt something close to relief as I saw Xantho perched on my bed, floating a few inches above it, rather than actually sitting on it. His wide eyes glared at me and I couldn’t stop myself from rushing across the room and pulling him into my arms.

“Hey!” he wailed. “Let go of me you weird girl! Let go!”

“I’m sorry.” I released him and smiled. “You have no idea how happy I am to see you. You’re the first person I’ve recognized from before in a week.”

Xantho made a strange face but only shook his head.

“Amasa sent me,” he whispered quietly. “He’s been trying to get you out but this place is awful. The only reason I got in was because I’m from here. And here you can see that flaming pepper a mile away!”

I covered my mouth to stifle my laugh. Strangely, I could imagine seeing Jack trying to break into this place. It would be a strange feat and I was pretty sure more people would die of laughter than actual murder.

“What does he expect me to do, click my heels together and wish there was no place like home?”

I tried to keep the sarcasm from my voice but I knew it was there. Despite being relieved, I was still pretty pissed at Jack for everything that had occurred. Even now, I still felt a little anger over him kidnapping me and then holding me in custody until Valin took over that job.

When I got the chance, I would have to hit them with the hardest thing I could find. Preferably a steel mallet.

“No.” Xantho made a face. “You can venture anywhere but outside. Don’t say you can’t because I know you do! I’ve watched you enough. At the bottom of the castle is a labyrinth that will get you out of this land, go beneath the river, and cut into the northwestern Spiriten Lands. It’s the only way out and there isn’t ever anyone guarding the entrance since only the Queen knows about it.”

“If only she does, then how do you?”

Xantho grinned widely, his eyes lighting up as if he knew a secret that I didn’t and it made him really happy.

“I told you,” he said evenly. “I’ve been watching you.”

I shivered and thought back to the Cheshire Cat from Alice in Wonderland. I somehow now understood Alice’s slight fear and confusion of the beast.

“Just get down there tonight. Otherwise you won’t be getting out at all.”

Xantho slipped out the window almost too quickly for my eyes to follow and I could have collapsed at that moment in relief alone. Of course, if you excluded the fact that it would be impossible for me to leave my room.

Despite Valin’s never being around, I was constantly being followed. Every once in a while I would catch a made or butler staring at me or even an animal that I was pretty sure more than just an animal. I wouldn’t be able to get out even if I wanted to.

Unless, of course, there was a distraction.

I smiled and looked out the window as Xantho made strange swirls in the air before shooting off and around the castle. My eyes glanced outward and I frowned briefly as I thought I saw the briefest flash of red.