Chapter Twelve

I pulled the cloak tighter around my body as I looked around nervously. I knew I hadn’t been followed, but I still felt like there were eyes on me. It was completely unnerving, to say the least. Not to mention there was no light anywhere, making everything seem more ominous and dangerous.

You are fine, I told myself as I slipped down the stairs that lead to the labyrinth. No one is following you! This isn’t some

I stifled a squeal as something ran over my foot, not daring to look down. In this place, the likelihood that it was a rat was very, very small. Much scarier things took refuge in dark places—or so I had been told.

My lip quivered as I walked blindly, placing my hand on the wall so I wouldn’t get lost…which wasn’t really that unthinkable a thought.

Xantho had returned sometime as I slept and I woke to a paper filled with instructions clutched in my hand. I had spent the entire day memorizing them and I’d hoped that I would remember if I panicked for some reason.

And I was already beginning to panic.

I lifted the corner of my gown and frowned. I couldn’t help but miss my leather. It was far easier to move in than extravagant ball gowns—and this one was no different. It was like Cinderella’s ball gown on a dark green and quarter-length sleeves.

My foot slid a little as I turned a corner and something told me to cling to the wall or risk plummeting to my death. I wasn’t quite ready to die.

“Dammit,” I hissed as I veered to the left, almost losing my balance. “If anyone did find this place, they’d be dead!”

The six inch heel of my shoe found the stone first and I relaxed a bit before taking another step and searching the wall blindly for another corner. My hand connected with something and I pulled as the wall gave a little.

I bit my lip and put both hands on the crevice, pulling hard. It moved with a groan, hardly shifting at all and I felt my arms burn with the effort. The mock gateway gave finally, swinging open and I collapsed, panting, against the wall.

 My gaze immediately fell to light and it took everything I had not to sprint to it. According to Xantho’s directions, I had to be careful. Once I saw the light, I was near the border river. But a Guardian of some kind watched over it and would stop me if I was caught.

I slipped into the new passageway, the door slamming behind me and I let out a yelp as I nearly fell. My eyes scanned for any sign of life and I relaxed as only the sound of rushing water reached my ears.

My heels clicked quietly against stone as I looked around, my eyes falling to the light above.

The frozen water far above looked almost like a skylight that met a waterfall. It was absolutely breathtaking. Since I was still in the Icen Lands, it wasn’t that surprising to see the water frozen. What was surprising was the rainbow-like effect that the light hitting the ice caused in the cavern.

I stepped closer inside and my eyes went wide at the trillions of gems and crystals that shone everywhere. It reminded me more of the Spiriten lands only on a completely separate and superior level. The gems were various shades of reds and blues and greens and even a gold or two. The sun shone through the glassy ice, causing it to fragment and cut in sharp rays at strange angles. Every now and then, a ray would hit a gemstone and cause it to come to life and flash against the walls.  The water moving subtly in the ice helped only further beautify the effect by causing the painted walls to shimmer and seem to move.

My lips parted in awe but I froze as something moved on the other side of the room.

Time to go, Clarity, I yelled mentally.