Chapter Four

I looked up as the lights flickered and the doors smashed open, revealing a furious half-naked Dracula. He spotted me sitting on the floor staring at him and he gasped, spinning quickly and making his clothes magically reappear. Johnny stomped into the room after Dracula.

They had a hushed conversation before Johnny went stomping over to the tables, mumbling something Mavis and being trapped. Dracula sighed and turned around, smoothing back his hair that had fallen out of place. I stood up and walked over to Johnny who was scraping a table across the floor.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Dracula," he growled, still scraping the table across the floor.

"ENOUGH! ENOUGH!" Dracula shouted suddenly. He stomped over to Johnny and made him stop pushing the table. "You're in a time out, go to the corner!"

"Time out!? I'm a grown man!" Johnny shouted. Dracula raised an eyebrow and raised his hand, magically picking Johnny up and sending him to the corner and placing his thumb in his mouth.

I glared at him and he turned away from me. I headed over to the corner Johnny was in and sat beside him to keep him company.

"Ok, table nineteen to position forty-three," Dracula commanded, clapping his hands. One of the tables floated up into the air and drifted over to its assigned spot on the floor.

"Awesome," Johnny whispered, forgetting his argument with Dracula.

"Face the wall," Dracula said, twirling Johnny around again. Johnny got up and pulled his thumb out his mouth.

"Come on," he whispered grabbing my hand and dragging me around through the tables while Dracula continued to move tables. "26, 27, 28..." Johnny counted, stopping at thirty six. We climbed on top of the table and sat on it.

"Thirty six up!" I commanded excitedly. The table rose and we glided around the room. I giggled as we floated over Drac and he looked up, narrowing his eyes, a smirk on his face.

"Fifteen to twenty seven!"

Another table flew at us and we were knocked off, laughing all the way down. We landed on another table and Johnny did a quick count.

"Twenty six up!" He said. We zoomed around the room, speeding past Dracula and making his cape flutter in our tailwind. He smirked as we flew away.

"Where did he go?" I asked a couple minutes later. A small whoosh was heard from above us and we looked up at an inside down smiling Dracula.

"Don't freak out gravity pants!" He laughed, turning right side up we zoomed away. "33 and 17 to my side!"

We flew around the room, dodging other flying tables.

"Block their path!" Dracula yelled, sending tables to line up in front of us.

"Jump through the gaps!" Johnny hollered at me as we got closer. He took a running jump and soared through and I leaped after him, Dracula following me. I landed on Johnny's table but Dracula missed his, falling. We flew under him and Johnny caught him. We flew out of the room, laughing and wrestling. Dracula held my hand and looked at me, his blue eyes shining happily.

"SUIT!" Johnny screamed. We crashed into a suit of armour, but before I could move a rope was tied around me. I was picked up and placed on someone's back beside Johnny. We could hear Dracula still laughing in the distance, still unaware that we had been taken.

The monster carrying us turned and we could see that we were in the entrance hall, going away from the front door. Clanking was heard and the monster starting running before being stopped.

"What is zis? Let me pass!"

"Quasimodo?" I mumbled through my gag. Johnny shrugged the best he could.

"Quasimodo Wilson, you're coming with us."

A loud clang was heard and we were suddenly high off the floor, running around in the rafters. Spears were flying and Johnny and I were being jostled from side to side. We finally landed again. Quasimodo said something in French and then took off down the hall again.

He took us off his back and laid us down on the kitchen floor.

"I can finally make my human stew!" He said gleefully, lighting a large fire. He placed a large turning stick over it and came over for Johnny. He tied Johnny and then tied me on so that our backs were touching.

I began to sweat as we were turned around, my eyes watering a bit. I don't want to die. Dracula, where are you!?

"At least let me say goodbye to my backpack," Johnny cried. "I don't want to leave anything unresolved."

The door slammed open and Dracula ran in, dousing the fire and taking Johnny and I off of the burner. He hugged me tightly, his body tense and worry flashing through his eyes. 

"Are you ok?" He asked me, standing back. I nodded as he glared at Quasimodo.

"What? Why did you save ze humans?" Quasimodo gasped.

"These two are monsters you imbecile," Dracula said. Quasi smiled wickedly.

"Then let them scare Esmeralda!" He shouted, pointing at his mouse.

Dracula scoffed. "The mouse? Without a doubt."

He pushed Johnny towards the mouse. Johnny made a face at it and the mouse squeaked at Johnny making him scream and jump back. I groaned in annoyance.

"HUMANS! DRACULA HAS BROUGHT HUMANS INTO THE HO-!"

Dracula froze Quasimodo, letting him crash down on the floor. "Come on," he said, pulling us out from the room. "I have something I need to show you."

He held my hand while he led us through the castle, stopping in front of large double black doors. We walked into a poorly lit room with a coffin in the middle.

"Woah, this is where you sleep," Johnny said, running up to the coffin. Dracula let go of my hand and grabbed a torch, lighting up a painting at the back of the room.

"I know her," I whispered, standing next to Dracula. He looked down at me in surprise.

"Yeah, there's a whole legend around her," Johnny said, taking the torch from Dracula. He told the story of the lady and man who died in the castle, and how he felt when we had gone there. I was watching Dracula the whole time. He looked pained, his eyes sad and angry at the same time.

"It was only the wife who died," he whispered when Johnny finished, approaching the painting. He ripped down the curtain that covered the other half of it. It was him, standing beside his first love. I slowly backed away, reaching the door. Why did I think he could ever love me back. I slipped out of the room and ran down the hall. I didn't need to stay to know that humans had killed her. And now he had zinged with a human.

I turned the corner and ran into Mavis. "I'm sorry!" I squeaked, tears threatening to fall from my eyes. She noticed and frowned.

"What's wrong Rachel?" She asked, pressing her hand down on my arm gently. "Lets go to my room and you can tell me everything, ok?"

I nodded and we walked through the hotel. A few monsters looked at me weirdly when I burst out crying halfway to Mavis' room. When we finally got there I sat on her bed and she hugged me while I cried.

"So, do you want to tell me what's wrong?" Mavis asked. I nodded, I would just bend the truth a little bit.

"I-I zinged with someone.." I mumbled. Mavis smiled.

"That's amazing, who is it?" She asked.

"I'd rather not say, because I don't know if he likes me back. He holds my hand sometimes, but then he ignores me and-" I cut myself off. I nearly said that he was still in love with his first Zing.

Mavis frowned. "That's terrible. But I know how you feel."

"What do you mean?"

"I think I zinged with Johnny!" She exclaimed.