Seventeen

The day seemed to fly by, Cadence could admit to herself that she would miss the company no matter how awkward and some what threatening it was

The day seemed to fly by, Cadence could admit to herself that she would miss the company no matter how awkward and some what threatening it was. It had been too long since she had talked to anyone other than Mac. Cadence spent the rest of the day playing inside with Joey under the watchful eye of Jake, of course.

Overall when Cadence said goodnight to Joey it had been the hardest of all. Cadence crouched down to Joey's level, ignoring the fact that Jake was watching. "You have sweet dreams Joey." Cadence began to choke up the moment the words came out and cursed herself as she saw Joey frown.

Joey brought his small hand to Cadence cheek, worried. "Is everything okay Cade? You sound sad? Do you not like it here?"

Cadence quickly brought Joey into a tight hug, she couldn't stand seeing his tears. It only made it that much harder for her to keep control over her own emotions. "Everything is fine Joey. I'm just so happy that I met you. You're my very first friend and one that I will always treasure." Cadence didn't answer his last question because it would only make this worse. "Now off to bed. You don't want your momma to come up here do you?" Cadence raised her brow as she pulled away and helped wipe his stray tears away.

Joey shook his head, "no. We will play tomorrow okay?" He was a bit more cheerful.

Cadence forced a smile and a small nod out. "Of course we will.." Cadence closed her eyes as Joey kissed her cheek.

"Good night Cade see you in the morning." Joey nearly yelled as he ran off down the hallway towards his room.

Cadence stood there for a moment simply staring at the now empty hall. Her chest felt like someone was sitting on it and her eyes stung. Cadence stiffened when she felt a hand clamp down on her shoulder, she turned and met the sympathetic gaze of Jake.

"You did the right thing. If he knew you was leaving he would no doubt throw a fit." Jake assured gently. He had seen many things over the years and has been through many losses, but as Cadence said goodbye to an unknowing Joey it was probably the second most saddening thing he had ever witnessed. Looking into Cadence glossy eyes, Jake wished that she could stay. Joey would have family to turn to, to help him move on, but who did this small female have? "Come, we have to leave. Connor just linked me. He is waiting outside."

Cadence nodded and turned to follow Jake. She stopped and looked back down the hallway once more before lowering her head and following Jake outside to where Connor waited. Goodbye Joey.. Cadence said to herself feeling a new sting of tears waiting to fall. She wouldn't break down, yet.

Connor was a mess. He was angry, confused and as he stood waiting for Cadence it only grew. He didn't want her to leave and while he didn't want that he had made a promise. To make sure she was happy and unfortunately she wouldn't be happy inside his pack. Connor tensed as he heard the front door open, turning he seen Jake and then Cadence. Her head was lowered and Connor knew she was crying. He could smell the saltiness in the air. His chest ached because he was unable to make her feel better. He would if he could, and maybe one day he will. He had a strange feeling that even though she was leaving right now, it wouldn't be the last time he seen her. "Jake meet us at the border." Connor saw Jake nod and walk away. When he could no longer hear Jake's footsteps he walked towards Cadence and wrapped his arms around her.

Connor couldn't help it. She looked so torn that his heart actually hurt as if her pain were his own. He has never known a female who could brave rogues and even packs for someone and he has never had a female affect him as Cadence did. He knew he would never find someone like her again.

Cadence gasped in surprise as Connor's warmth surrounded her. She should have pushed him away, but when her hands came into contact with his hard chest, rather than push him away as she intended she held on. She refused to break, a tear here and there was allowed though.

"You stay safe out there Cadence. If something happened to you I couldn't be able to live with the guilt." Connor whispered into her hair.

Cadence wanted to laugh. This is what she wanted so why was it so hard to pull away? After a burst strength Cadence pulled away and managed a watery smile. "I'm always careful and I know how to take care of myself." Cadence walked past him, just wanting to get over with.

They both walked in silence, neither of them far from the other. It was comfortable and Cadence wondered if she had been wrong about the Alpha. Other than the hug he hadn't touched her for too long. As Cadence walked into the clearing she seen Jake. Her heart hammered beneath her chest. This was it.

Cadence stopped mere inches from the border and turned back to Connor. Her vision blurred slightly and her head felt woozy. For a moment she believed she had simply moved to quickly, but as she stared at Connor standing there she had this feeling she had seen this before. Like a déjà vu moment. That couldn't be possible though. Shaking her head to clear it she forced a smile and turn to Jake. "Goodbye Jake."

Cadence wasn't expecting Jake to suddenly start forward and hug her. She didn't even hug him back because of the shock. When Jake pulled away, Jake was smiling at her. "You're one of a kind Cadence. I am happy I met you."

Cadence smiled for real, feeling her cheeks burn slightly. She hasn't ever heard anyone something like that to her. It was nice. Cadence nodded thorn turned to Connor who while she was distracted with Jake had moved closer to her. She swallowed the nervous lump that had formed in her throat, "good bye Alpha Connor Slade."

Connor didn't hesitate to grab Cadence by her cheeks and pull her in. His lips met hers softly at first and when Cadence gasped in obvious surprise Connor took advantage, his tongue plunging into her sweetness. Tasting and teasing. He knew he shouldn't have, it would only make it harder for them both, but he couldn't control himself. Since he seen her he wanted her.

Cadence didn't react at first. She had been stunned stupid. Her arms were limp at her side at least until she felt his tongue brush against her own. Then Cadence body jump started and took over as if it had a mind of its own. Her fingers tangled themselves in his short black hair and her body pressed as close to his as she could without actually wrapping herself around him.

The kiss had ended too soon for Connor, but if redid t pull away now he knew he would never let her go. Resting his forehead against Cadence's they both panted for air.

When Cadence had calmed down she pulled away from Connor. "Goodbye Connor." Cadence didn't wait any longer, fearing she would break down in front of him and Jake. She ran across the border into no mans land and didn't stop. Not even when she hear a howl pierce the soundless night. She knew it was Connor. She wasn't sure how she knew that, but she knew. Her eyes blurred with tears as she ran away from Joey and from Connor. Her rational side reminding her that she had no place among them.

*
*

*tears* ughhhhhh.