Twenty-Two

Cadence was glad to remember her past, but with her memories came the guilt

Cadence was glad to remember her past, but with her memories came the guilt. Though it wasn't directly her fault, Cadence still felt responsible for the destruction of her pack. She remembered every detail, every face of those who tried to protect her. Their faces would forever haunt her memories.

Cadence was relieved to get out the hospital, she had never liked them and the antiseptics had always been too much on her nose.

"Caddy can you tell me what happened?" John asked, his face full of concern as he watched his daughter. She was still pale, even though she had regained some color. He didn't want to push her, but the more he knew the better off they would all be.

Cadence was silent for a while, trying to remember exactly what she had seen and what she should tell him. "I had just left you and Mac. I was walking along the courtyard when the call went out. I tried to get the women and children to safety, but everywhere we turned we seen another intruder. The women scattered and I, myself had no choice, but to do the same. I fought who I could along the way." Cadence whispered giving a pathetic defense.

"Some of the warriors had come to my defense, but I watched as they fell. It was horrifying. I remember looking around and seeing pack member after pack member falling over. The men, women and- and the children. No one was showed mercy." Cadence voice broke. Unable to contain the emotions that longed to be released. "I couldn't save them. I tried. I was attacked from the back and was forced to shift." Cadences face scrunched as she tried to remember the fuzzier pieces. "I recall seeing Thomas... Then, I remember falling. I don't remember much after that..."

Cadence shivered with disgust. Thomas was an Alpha, but he had been banished from his own pack because of his cruel and torturous treatment. He had then found his way to Cadence pack. They hadn't realized or heard that he had been replaced. Cadence had been used to Thomas's disturbing and unsettling presence. He had been to their pack numerous times, each time trying a different way to gain Cadence's affection. She had tried to tell him gently that she wasn't interested, but he didn't take no for an answer.

Cadence became aware of her father's growl and was shocked she seen the rage in Cannor's eyes. Feeling suddenly constricted, Cadence excused herself, deciding it would be best to get a bit of fresh air. The moment she stepped outside her body erupted into goose bumps. Every time she breathed a cloud of mist followed. Taking a seat on the steps, she found herself remembering the last time she had sat on these steps.

Cadence closed her eyes, her mind replaying Cannor's words yet again. Did he really mean those words? She wondered, the one's that she had waited years to hear. A part of her was afraid, afraid that he hadn't meant it. Afraid that he had only said it to help her wake up. Did he say it because she wasn't technically a rogue?

A sudden gust of wind made Cadence mind go blank for a moment. The cold air soaking into her skin and causing her to wrap her arms protectively around herself as she  shiver. Cadence wouldn't be surprised if snow began to fall tonight or in the morning.

Cadence stiffened as warm arms surrounded her from behind, followed by a muscular body pressing into her back. She knew by the musky scent that it was Connor, but it didn't help her in relaxing, but rather the opposite. All her previous questions flew through her mind. She wanted to be a coward and to stay quiet, but the stubborn part of her wouldn't allow it.

"Did you mean it?" She asked even as she leaned into his warmth.

Connor hadn't been able to control his body. His mind, heart and soul were already made up about Cadence and as far as he was concerned she was his soul mate. When he seen her shiver, he wasn't able to control himself. "Mean what?" He asked confused.

Cadence took a deep breath, "what you said when you thought I was sleeping? Recognizing me at your mate." Cadence clarified.

Connor hugged Cadence tighter against him, "I did. I was confused in the beginning. I wasn't sure what I felt or even what to call it. The day you left was the day I realized that even though I hadn't realized it counsciously, somewhere deep inside I had already bound myself to you." Connor wetted his lips, feeling suddenly nervous. "I also didn't realize I loved you until I attacked Mac.."

Cadence gasped in surprise, trying to get out of his arms, after a moment of struggling she realized he wasn't going to let her go she gave up. "You attacked Mac?!"

Connor smirked in amusement. "I confess my love and yet you worry about another male." He half joked, feeling slightly jealous.

Cadence blushed at the bold statement and felt a bit foolish. "M-Mac took care of me. The man is like a second father..." Cadence defended.

Connor hummed, burying his face in the curve of Cadence neck and hair, filling his senses with her scent. He felt the shiver rack her body, but knew it wasn't from the cold air. "What of my confession? What do you feel Cadence? Do you recognize me as your mate? Do you need more time?"

Cadences lungs burned and she suddenly realized she was holding her breath. Slowly letting her breath out, she opened her mouth to answer him. "I...."

*
*
Sorry if this say I updated again. Had to fix the mistakes. Hate typing on a cell phone..