Twenty-Five

Cadence paced the room

Cadence paced the room. It was her first time since the announcement to the pack that she and Connor had claimed each other as mates, that she was seeing them. It was nerve racking, but Cadence also knew that she had to prove that she wasn't afraid of them even when she was.

She had handled herself against rogues and even other animals, so she wasn't afraid of a fight. She was afraid of the continuing rejection. Cadence turned towards the door as she heard the knock. "Come in."

Cadence smiled when she saw Joey poke his head in. "Are you ready for breakfast? Connor sent me up, he also said he won't be able to make it to breakfast because of some meeting.." Joey shrugged.

Cadence swallowed the sudden knot in her throat and forced a smile as she spoke. "That's alright, you and I can have breakfast together and also your mother."

Joey nodded excited about the idea. "Let's go. I'm starving."

Cadence chuckled as Joey dragged her from the room. The boy sure loved his food.

*

Connor frowned as he stared at the reply he received from Thomas. He refused to submit the lands he had unlawfully stolen. It didn't surprise Connor, but he would be lying if he said he didn't hope that Thomas would submit. It would make everything so much easier and less stressful.

"He refused as we knew he would. I say our best idea is to just go in and take it back. We know we out number him and I know that my warriors are better trained." Connor said, looking to John, Jake and Mac.

John nodded, folding his arms. "I have to agree. Our only problem is he now knows that I am here and working with you. He may double his patrol. It won't be easy to get in."

Jake chuckled. "When Connor means we just take it, he doesn't mean go in quietly. Even if Thomas doubles his patrol he won't stand a chance against us."

Mac nodded finally stepping forward. "So since that seems to be the plan. When are we doing this?"

Connor grinned, "tonight." The quicker they got rid of Thomas the better he would feel. Cadence was his and while he knew that Thomas could still try to take her and force a bond on her.

"Gather your warriors. Tonight we will reclaim the Monroe territory." John said, smiling.

Connor nodded and stood. He could finally see Cadence. Walking around the pack he searched out her scent. It didn't take him long to find her scent, but his stomach knotted when he followed it further and further into the woods. "Cadence." Connor called, frowning. He smelt something metallic and his heart nearly stopped when he saw Joey laying on the ground a spot of blood coating his white shirt. "Joey!"

Connor ran to Joey and turned him to look for the wound. Connor frowned when he didn't see a wound or a source of the blood. Taking a deeper sniff of Joey's shirt Connor panicked. It was Cadences. "Joey, Joey! Wake up." Connor shouted as she shook his brother.

Joey woke with a start, his Eyles wide and fearful as he looked around sharply. His eyes adjusted and he stared at Connor, his eyes filling with tears. "They took her! They took Cade!"

"Who took Cadence Joey? Where did they take her?" Connor tried not to sound harsh, but his worry and fear didn't help.

Joey shook his head. "I don't know... I- I don't know.." Joey sniffled and then began to cry.

Feeling instantly guilty for shouting Connor hugged his brother and whispered, "it's okay. We will get her back. Just tell me what you remember."

Joey hiccups and wiped his tears. "Cade and I went to have breakfast. After I convinced Cade to walk around with me since I hadn't gotten the chance to show her around before. We decided to run for a bit and Malic was there. He started telling Cade she didn't belong and that just because her daddy was a former Alpha didn't mean that she wasn't a rogue. He started calling her nasty and mean names. I told him to shut up and that's when he hit me." Joey's voice grew quiet and Connor had to release him for fear of accidentally hurting him.

"Then what Joey..." Connor cooed. Trying his hardest to remain calm. If Malic was willing to hit his Alpha's brother what would he do to Cadence?

"Cadence attacked him... They fought and- and Cadence had the upper hand. She could have killed him, but another wolf came out of no where and attacked her... She tried Connor! She tried to protect me, but they were too strong." Joey began to cry again at the memory. Joey looked down to his bloodied shirt and big tears fell. "Malic said he would take her to where she belonged... What does that mean? Where did they take her?"

Connor frowned trying to make sense of what Joey heard. "I'm not sure. Don't worry, I will find her.."