Chapter 3

Here's Chapter 3. I hope to make the next chapter a little longer. I'm sorry this one is so short. I know this story is moving very slowly, but hopefully things will start picking up soon. That's my plan, anyway. Please don't give up on it, even if you wait until it is complete (or further along) to read it. Thanks!

************************************************************************************************************

DREW

Ugh. It's morning already, and my alarm is blaring beside my head. Sheesh. I'm still super tired from last night, but I have to be at school in less than an hour. Coach says we need a quick rundown of our plays before the bus pulls out of the parking lot. I say an extra hour of sleep would do us good, but who am I?

That was ten minutes ago. My teeth are brushed, my face is washed, my clothes are on - what more could anyone ask for? I grab a toaster pastry and head out the door. Not exactly a breakfast of champions, but it'll do. I hop into my Ford Explorer and off I go.

I've lived in Shadeyville my entire life. After my mom had Elise, we moved here to escape any scandalous rumors that may have come up following Leesy's birth. Only Elle and Em Martin know that Leese is not my dad's biological daughter. The others are none the wiser, and that's the way I hope it stays. Unless, of course, Elise wants to tell them.

What I like most about Shadeyville is also what I like the least: everyone knows everyone. There are very few secrets a person can keep after living here more than a year or two. Our high school graduates about one hundred or so seniors every year, and most of us have traveled up the ranks since kindergarten.

As I turn onto Poplar Lane, I see Tommy, Justin, and Mike hanging out near the field entrance. I park my truck and head over in their direction.

"Hey, Rangle, how's it going?" Justin asks.

"Just fine. Where's coach?" I answer.

"He's inside waiting for us. We were just loading the equipment onto the bus."

The three of us walk inside the school, and down the hall toward the boys' locker room. I really hope all of our preparation helps us to win the game. We're playing the Greenbriar Ravens. The only team we share a stronger rivalry with is the Leechburg Muskrats, who we happen to play on homecoming day. If we can win this game, we might have a chance of making it to the playoffs. That would be awesome.

ELIZABETH

Beep!Beep!Beep! My alarm is obnoxiously awakening me. I know it's 7:30, but it's also Saturday. Saturday is meant for sleep, not for getting up early and traveling an hour to a football game. I drag myself out of bed and prepare for the day ahead. I have to be at school by 9, which doesn't give me much time to get ready.

It's 8:55, but I am here. The other girls are buzzing with excitement. This game may be our ticket to first round playoffs. It would be great to go all the way to State our senior year. Drew and I would have a story for our kids and grandkids.

"Hey, Ellie, do you think Drew is ready for the Ravens?" Jacey asks. "I hear their quarterback, Jeremy Longfellow, is a pretty good opponent."

"Yeah, Jacey, I think he is. He has been putting all his efforts into practicing this week. I should know. Our personal lives have suffered for it. If we win, though, it will definitely be worth it."

"Isn't that the truth? " Jacey added.

"Okay, girls," Coach Clark shouts, "on the bus."

"We are number one, second to none," we start to cheer as we load the bus.

EMILY

Although I have to get up early to get to the adoption event, I do NOT need to have an alarm blaring in my ear at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning. I might have to be there by 9:30, but I do NOT need 2 hours of prep time. There is not that much to prep. All the makeup in the world cannot change the fact that I am plain and chubby. So, why bother?

Even though I do not agree with the loud beeping coming from my sister's alarm clock, I manage to drag myself out of bed and head down to breakfast. I really hate breakfast, but I've heard that eating breakfast might actually aid in losing weight. It hasn't made me gain any weight, so I guess it's not hurting anything. I try to eat a bowl of Corn Flakes, or something similar. I figure that's got to be healthier than a bagel and cream cheese, although not nearly as tasty.

I would hop in the shower first, but this would cause World War III. Nothing gets between Elle and the shower. And I mean nothing. The girl goes crazy if someone even mentions it. We have chosen to just stay out of her way. Sometimes, I use the shower in the basement if we are in a hurry, but she complains about her hot water being used up too quickly if both showers are on at once. There is no winning this argument.

I pour my cereal into the bowl and add the milk. Jake and Jeffy, my younger brothers, come running into the kitchen. As they sit at the table and chant, "Breakfast, breakfast," I figure that I'm the family member who has been selected to be the servant this morning.

"Fine," I say, cracking some eggs into the skillet. "Just hold your horses."

Soon after, I hear a clatter in the living room as Elle sets down her gym bag to put on her shoes.

"See ya," she yells as she shuts the door behind her.

"See ya," the three of us say, although the door has already shut.

Shortly afterward, I am preparing the tables and cages for the adoption event. There's a dog named Mitzy here today that will be euthanized if we don't find her a home. She is the sweetest little thing. She's a great dane who was adopted from a rescue. Her owner was an older guy who ended up being put into a personal care home. His only son was unable to take her, so he set her up with our the shelter in order to help her find a good home. She's been here so long. They are closing, and the other shelters are running out of room. She is one of the oldest pets, and her time seems to be up after today.

"Hey, there," I say to Donna Easely, the event coordinator. She has just arrived, and has three other volunteers in tow, each carrying a cage containing a cat. Mitzy sees Donna and wags her tail.

"Hi, Em, "she says, before turning to Mitzy. "Hi there, Mitzy girl. Hope you get a home today. I would take you, but my husband would divorce me."

Donna has five dogs and 8 cats at home already. As far as I'm concerned, her husband is a saint. I understand why she can't be the one who saves Mitzy. I just pray that someone out there will visit our event today and give Mitzy a forever home.

"Hey, there, how are things going?" Adam asks, walking over and standing next to me.

"Fine. I'm just worried about this old girl," I say, patting Mitzy on the head.

"I would take her, but Jenny's allergic," he explained. He wasn't lying. His sister, Jenny, broke out in hives just thinking about dogs, she was that sensitive.

"I know," I said.

"Why don't you take her?" he asks.

I sigh. "My parents would make me give her back," I comment.

"You're probably right," he agreed.

**********************************************************************************************************

I've decided to throw in a Next: every so often, but not with every chapter. I hope it works out. Please vote and/or comment. I love reading what you think!!