Chapter 6

Here's Chapter 6.  Sorry for the long wait.  I just want to make sure I'm not rushing this story.  Please let me know what you think.  Thanks for reading!!

Drew Van Acker as Drew Rangle on the right.  :-)

EMILY

After church on Sunday, I took the car that Elle and I shared, and drove to the Rangle's house. Drew answered, Mitzy following behind him.

"Look who's here, Mitzy! The nice lady that saved your life," Drew said in an overexcited voice for the dog's benefit.

Mitzy wagged her tail and approached me. I pet her for a few minutes, then Drew said, "I guess you're here to see my mom?"

"Yeah," I replied, holding the papers in my left hand up for him to see. "I brought the paperwork to make Mitzy officially yours." I looked at him before saying, "Thanks again for saving her. You don't know what it means to me."

"Hey, I couldn't let this sweet old girl meet her maker just yet," he said, smiling.

"Yeah, but now Elle's mad at you," I reminded him.

"I love your sister, but she can be a cold-hearted you-know-what," he said. "She'll get over it. She always does."

He did know Ellie well. I guess that's why nothing ever seemed to come between them. They were willing to put up with each others' quirks, no matter how many they had.

He left to get his mom then. A few minutes later, Mrs. Rangle appeared in the doorway, walking closer to where I was standing in the foyer.

"Hi, there, Emmy," she gushed, "how are you?"

I smiled. I have always loved Drew and Leesy's mom. "I'm fine, thank you. How have you been?"

"Oh, I've been fine. I miss Elise, away at school and all, but that's to be expected, I guess," she exclaimed.

"Yeah," I agreed. "Drew said you had something to ask me?"

I followed her into the living room, where she gestured to the dark brown leather sofa. I sat down, and she took a seat in the matching recliner next to the sofa.

"Yes. I hope you'll consider what I'm about to ask of you, but I understand if you don't want to. I think it's funny how you and Elise are such good friends, and Drew and Elizabeth are so close, but you don't intermingle," she rambled.

I got what she was saying, but I really wished she'd get to the point. I laughed, hoping to spur her on.

"Well, Mr. Rangle and I are planning on taking a cruise throughout the entire month of October. We do this once a year, and it worked out fine when both Drew and Elise were here. Their grandma came when they were really young, and they had each other the last couple of years," she explained. I still had no idea what she was getting at.

"Well, Elise is away, and can't miss class just to spend time with her brother. My mom and her new husband have decided to come on the cruise with us, so having her stay is not an option. I was hoping that maybe you would consider staying here while we're away?" What? Had I heard her correctly?

She continued, "We'd pay you, of course. And with the dog here now, I thought you might be more willing. I know you're not all that fond of Drew, but the house is big, and he's gone alot."

She stopped and stared at me. "Well?" she asked, a nervous smile slowly appearing on her face.

"You wouldn't rather have Ellie do it? Or one of Drew's friends?" I asked, wondering why she had thought to ask me, of all people.