Chapter 34

Sorry this has taken so long. I just had a major case of writer's block. I hope you like it.

Pic is Mike and Johnny.

**********************

DREW

I couldn't stop staring at Em as she slept. I knew I was being irrational, but it scared me to see her with her eyes closed again. Everytime she shut her eyes, I imagined her slipping back into the coma and never waking up. I knew it was irrational, but I couldn't help it.

Em had awakened from her coma a little less than forty-eight hours ago. Since then, her whole famiy had been in to see her. Ellie seemed a little weird when she'd been here, and she was definitely giving her mother the cold shoulder. I wondered if it had something to do with the abortion. I knew Ellie was selfish and immature, but I didn't think she'd be able to kill her baby. I hoped that Adam wouldn't be haunted by the destruction of his son or daughter. If he was, he would probably carry that over into his relationship with my sister. I was extremely uncomfortable with those 2 dating, and felt like the abortion could only make things worse.

I really hoped that soon, we could put this all behind us. I wanted to graduate high school and see what the future held. I knew we were young, but I could see a possible future with Em. Unfortunately, I was stuck in the present, and had to go back to school. My parents had decided that since Em was now out of danger, I had to resume the regularly scheduled program. At least the doctors were projecting Em's recovery to take only 2 to 3 weeks. I figured I could handle myself for that long without her.

After gym class on my first day back, the coach stopped me to talk about my recent absence.

"I understand you were worried about Emily Martin, and that's why you missed school?" he asked.

"Yeah, she's my girlfriend," I said. I smiled dumbly at him, realizing that I must have seemed as if I were twelve.

Coach shook his head back and forth, then patted me on the back.

"I knew you were sweet on her the day the footbal hit you in the head at practice," he said, laughing. "She's got more character than her sister, that's for sure."

"Yeah, I can't really figure out the best way to tell people that we're a couple, especially since she's not here with me," I said.

"Don't worry. I'm pretty sure that most people have already figured it out," he said, smiling.

I walked into the locker room, not really paying attention to anything. I stripped down, then went to the showers. Standing there, face to face, staring at each other intently, were Johnny and Mike. Johnny had his hand on Mike's arm, his head tilted to the side. He was leaning in toward Mike when Mike spotted me. Mike pulled away from Johnny quickly, but it was obvious by looking just a little below their waists that they had been getting ready to do more than shower.

"Dammit, Drew," Mike said, turning away from me quickly.

"Are you guys out yet?" I asked, ignoring the fact that I was interrupting their make out session. I made sure that I kept my eyes focused above their shoulders.

"No, and we'd appreciate it if you'd keep it that way," Johnny said.

Mike turned his head toward me as he took Johnny's hand.

"It's complicated," he said, turning Johnny toward himself and planting a quick kiss on his lips.

"You should probably stop hooking up in the locker room then," I said, hoping they'd take my advice.

They didn't hear me, though, because they were sucking each others' faces off. Really? Could they not control themselves? I turned around to leave, but Johnny's voice stopped me.