Featured Writer: John Shirey

By: Kathie Rivera  (kathiel12)

November 11, 2016

I was so excited to make this interview because John Shirey is one of my favorite Wattpad writers

I was so excited to make this interview because John Shirey is one of my favorite Wattpad writers.  John Shirey is a retired chemist and spends his time writing.  He joined Wattpad on June 21, 2013.  He has published 23 books here on Wattpad.  He loves Sci-fi and Fantasy although he wrote a book about marriage.  His username is jeshi99.

Interview:

Questions about the craft:

Why do you write?

Self Expression born out of having to write term papers and reviews in both High School and College.

What inspires or motivates you to write?

Reading. I've read probably a thousand novels and non-fiction works. To write well requires lots of reading.

As briefly as you can, what's your writing process?

Unlike some writers, I require an outline. Then, I need quiet.

When did you begin writing?

When I was a child, around 10 or so.

What's your genre?

Science and Science Fiction; although, I like many other genres.

Have you ever experienced writer's block and if so, how did you cope?

For some reason I don't have that problem. My main problem isn't coming up with ideas; it's putting them down into words.

What's the most important thing for you in your writing?

I try to be concise and to the point. I believe that writing should express ideas in the least number of words possible.

Do you also use pen and paper to write, or just your computer? Maybe your mobile phone?