Chapter 1

-X FACTOR-

Lauren POV

"Are you sure I am doing the right song?" I can feel my heart pounding. Honestly the past week I don't think my heart has ever calmed down.

Lucy smiles as she looks at me. "I promise you this song will blow the judges away. It's perfect for your voice."

Lucy doesn't ever lie to me, especially not to make me feel better, so I know I can trust her. I wish it were enough to calm my nerves.

"I cannot believe the day is almost here." I walk over to my bed and collapse to my back as I stare at the ceiling. "I've always wanted to sing and now I get my chance to see if I have what it takes. One small mistake could destroy my dreams."

The mattress beside me goes in and as Lucy's body lies beside me. "Lauren, stop thinking negatively." Lucy runs her hand down my arm and interlocks our fingers when she gets to them. "If you go into your audition thinking you are going to screw up then that is exactly what will happen."

I know this, but trying to convince my thoughts of this isn't easy. "Will you come?"

I turn my head to the side as I stare at my best friend. "Please?"

Lucy turns her head to me, leaving little room between us. "Are you serious?"

I slowly nod. "I am dead serious. I need you there. My parents are going to freak out which will cause me to freak out. They are bad at telling me the truth afraid of hurting me. I need you there for reassurance and honesty."

Not to mention, I feel 100 times better any time she is around.

I stare in Lucy's brown eyes as she takes her time to answer.

My eyes break contact as I glance down at our hands where Lucy is rubbing soft circles to the back of my hand.

A small flutter hits my stomach.

"I'll go." Lucy brings my attention back to the conversation. "You know as long as your parents don't mind because I know mine won't."

A smile stretches across my face. "My parents won't mind."

I know this for a fact because they already asked me if I wanted any of my friends to go. I wasn't positive if I did or not, but I want Lucy there.

"One thing I need to make clear." Lucy's voice was serious causing my smile to falter.

"Okay." I softly spoke. "What is it?"

Lucy eyes stay locked on mine. "You don't need me there. You don't need anybody. You were gifted with a voice that people are going to be lucky to hear."

From my cheeks to my toes, my body feels warmth. Lucy has this way of making me feel that I can't even understand.

"I want you there."

Lucy squeezes my hand. "I'll be there."

Boarding a flight from Miami to Greensboro, North Carolina.

My audition is tomorrow. My parents, my brother, my sister, and Lucy all are here.

I feel so many emotions right now that it makes me feel completely drained. By the time we get through two airports and arrive at the hotel, all I want to do is go to bed. The problem is it's the middle of the day...

As we are going up on the elevator, my dad pulls out a room key.

"Here."

I reach for it but I was confused. "What is this for?"

"It's yours and Lucy's room." He explains. "Your mom and I thought it would help for you to have space."

I look at Lucy who seems just as excited as I am. We both squeal causing my dad to clear his throat.

"There is one rule." My dad's eyes go back and forth between us. "I better not catch any boys in your room. This place is going to be overflowed with teenagers running around."

My dad looks so serious. Usually it scares me, but it makes me want to laugh right now. Thank god Lucy spoke instead of me.

"There will be no boys." Lucy assures him. "I promise. We don't need them anyway."

He nods in approval. Once we settle in our room, I look at my best friend.

"How sick is this?" I look around our room. "Can you believe my parents trust us?"

Lucy goes over and sits on the bed. "It's a shame that they only got one bed in here. Hopefully sleeping on the floor won't screw with your singing voice."

Lucy goes to her back and spreads her arms across the bed.

"Who is sleeping on the floor?" I question as I approach the bed.

"You."

My jaw drops. "I don't think so."

With her arms spread out, Lucy left herself vulnerable to my attack.

I lean my knee on the bed right between her legs and place my hands on her hips.

Lucy doesn't move one bit. I give her an evil smirk as I dig my fingertips into her side.

She is squirming all over as she is laughing.

"Who gets the floor?" I giggle as I keep the torture attack on her sensitive sides.

Lucy tries to push my hands away but it wasn't working. Lucy goes to her next option as she uses her foot to kick my knee out from under me causing me to fall right on her.

My fingers stop attacking her side and her laugher dies., both of us currently breathing heavily as my body lies on top of hers.

"Neither of us has to sleep on the floor." Lucy whispers, causing a shiver to go down my body.

Nervous as all get out, I could not speak or move. My eyes stay locked with Lucy's. Electricity runs through my body as I feel her hands go on my hips.

Lucy's eyes break contact and go down to my... lips. When her eyes come back to mine, they didn't look the same as before. Now in her innocent brown eyes, I see desire.

Lucy slowly starts to lift her head off the bed as her eyes go from mine to my lips. Soon her eyes disappear behind her eyelids.

My eyes have a mind of their own as they shut and my head leans in. I could feel Lucy's breath on my lips realizing what is about to happen.

- Hard knocking –
I put my hands beside Lucy and push off the bed to get me standing up right.

I look at Lucy who sighs as she sits up. "Your parents already?"

The knocking comes back and this time it doesn't stop. I walk slowly to the door trying to process all that just happened and what was about to happen.

I open the door and in walks my brother. "About time." Chris looks around. "What were you two doing?"

"Having sex." Lucy replies causing me to choke. "What are you doing in here? Did your dad send you in here to spy?"

"No." Chris sits on the bed. "Taylor is already acting like a baby and mom is eating it up. I had to get out of there."

The typical younger sibling craving for our parent's attention... nothing new.

"Do you mind if I hang out or was I interrupting something?"

He looks at Lucy so I let her answer. "Sure, why not?" Lucy eyes look at me. "You weren't interrupting anything."

"Sweet." Chris is obviously happy. "Do you guys want to check the pool out."

"Sure." This time I answer. "Go change and meet us in the hall."

Chris leaves and now it's back to only Lucy and me.

"Are you cool with swimming?" There is now obvious tension that I know I am not ready to talk about.

"Sounds fun." Lucy goes to her bag.

I grab my swimsuit from my bag and go to the bathroom to put it on. When I get out Lucy was changed and ready.

As Lucy goes to the door, I grab her arm and stop her from opening it.

"I am glad you came." I tell her truthfully.

Lucy finally lightens up again. "Me too."

I pull her in for a hug and I could feel her heart beating extra fast.

Lucy is first to break apart. "We shouldn't keep your brother waiting."

I agree, knowing how anxious he seemed to be.

The pool was loaded with people, leaving little room to swim but enough to screw around with your best friend.

Lucy and I were in a constant battle of trying to dunk each other. I won't lie... At some pointing we both gave up, but acted as if we were trying to stay in contact with one another.

Clearly we both thought we weren't being that obvious, but someone at the pool must have been watching us.

Lucy and I decided to go. Chris doesn't' want to come back so we left him there. Surely my parents won't mind.

As we get on the elevator, a guy from the pool hops on as the door shuts.

"Hello Ladies." He tries to play cool. "How long have you two been dating?"

My eyes bug out of my head. "We aren't dating." I say quickly. "Why would you ask that?"

He looks at both of us and grins. "You two couldn't keep your hands off each other."

"Don't be a jackass." Lucy tells him. "Also don't assume shit about people you don't know."

This causes his head to fall back as he laughs. "You two couldn't be any more obvious! What, are you two still in the closet?"

When the elevator dings on our floor I go storming out. Lucy follows and I can hear her calling me name.

"Lauren, slow down." Lucy grabs my hand and turns me around. "What is wrong?"

I don't say anything. I don't want to talk about it out here. I turn back around to our room and put the key card in. Once we get in there, Lucy doesn't hesitate to question me again.

"What is wrong?"

I drop the things in my hand to the ground. "That dude assuming we are dating!"

"Who cares what he thinks?" Lucy is so calm unlike me. "Why does it matter?"

"Because I am not gay!" I shout.

Lucy nods. "Okay."

Okay? What does that mean? I watch as Lucy goes back into her bag and gets clothes out.

"I am going to take a shower."

Before I could say anything the door shuts and I hear it locked.

I flop down on the chair and sigh.

After Lucy showered, I took my turn. Even when I was done, Lucy still wasn't talking. She was lying on our shared bed staring at her phone.

As I put my stuff in a bag, I ponder whether or not I should ask her what's wrong.

I crawl on the bed and snuggle up to my best friends arm. "Lucy, I don't want us arguing before my audition."

"We aren't arguing."

I roll my eyes. "Okay, I don't want us fighting or mad at each other."

"We aren't fighting. I am not mad at you."

I snatch her phone out of her hand to take away the distraction.

"Hey!" I put the phone behind my back so it's between the bed and me. "Give me that back."

I shake my head. "No."

"Lauren I am serious."

I shrug. "I don't care."

Out of nowhere Lucy gets up and sits on my stomach. "I will get it back."

She takes her hands and tries to squeeze them between my back and the bed.

"Nope." I smirk at her efforts that are failing. "Not until you tell me what I did wrong to make you upset."

"You didn't do anything Lauren. There is nothing to talk about."

"And you are lying which is odd because you are usually brutally honest."

Lucy now rolls her eyes at me. "Give it to me."

"Tell me what's wrong." I demand back as she is getting closer to breaking between the tight spaces to where her phone is. I sit up a little trying to reposition myself, which puts my face extremely close to Lucy.

Lucy stops as we are eye to eye.

"Please don't hate me." Lucy whispers.

Lost as to why she said that, I had no time to respond as Lucy does what was about to happen earlier.

Her lips softly touch mine and all of the oxygen from my lungs vanishes.  About to fall back to the bed, I set my hands on her hips to help hold myself up as I kiss her back.

There are a million reasons why this should not be happening, but at the same time I feel like there is one reason why I haven't stopped and that is a reason I am not sure I'm ready to confront.

- Knocking –

This time it was Lucy who flew off of me.

"It's your dad." He hollers from the other side. "We are going to go eat. Are you guys coming or are you going to starve?"

The next 15 hours was a whirlwind. Lucy and I didn't talk at all about what happened, but both of us did a good job at not letting it be weird. We stayed up pretty late watching movies.

Now it's time for us to part, as I get ready to finally audition. As Lucy is about to go to the seats to watch, she gives me long hug.

"Don't let this change anything." She whispers in my ear.

My parents start guiding me to where I need to go. Time seemed to speed up as I find myself in front of the four judges.

"Hi how are you?" Simon asks into his microphone.

All the nerves come to me as I answer with a slight laugh. "Hello, good thank you."

"What's your name?"

"My names Lauren."

"Lauren?"

"Jauregui."

"Okay." He says. "Where are you from Lauren?"

"I am from Miami, Florida."

"Okay." He looks at me. "How old are you?"

"Sixteen." I answer. "I just turned sixteen."

"Congratulations"

"Thank you."

"Why are you here Lauren?"

"I am here to pursue my dreams and become what I always wanted to be."

He nods. "And what are you going to sing?"

"If I Ain't Got You – By Alicia Keys."