Chapter Twenty Two.

Dakota Aniston

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Tomorrow is the fifties night. The week past in a blur, which it seemed each week was doing now. It consisted of hanging out with Stacey, bickering with Elijah, blushing at Elijah, more hanging out with Stacey, whom seemed to always want Elijah around, and then more bickering with Elijah.

Outside it’s gray and wet, the effects of a storm. I didn’t care about any storm though, because I have plans of going to the mall today before my shift. A little rain never hurt anybody.

I’m hitting the store today with my friend, Dianne. I was actually a little surprised she called me this morning, considering I haven’t seen her since school ended. But, later, I found out she had just gotten back from a long trip in Paris.

I was also finding myself dreading school lately, knowing it wouldn’t be that long before it started again. As the end of July is nearing, I wish I could just make it last a little longer. Being in school means I’ll have to see all the people who claim to be my friend, but really aren’t. I’ll have to see boys who have yet to say they’ve hooked up with me, hoping this year will be their year. And then of course, I have to attend all those late night, loud parties on Stacey’s arm. I’m just sort of over it.

“What are you thinking about?” Dianne asked me, bumping her hip against mine as we maneuvered our way through the thick crowd of people in the mall. Dianne had a Victoria’s Secret bag dangling off her wrist, along with something from Clair’s and Hollister.

“Just school.” I sigh softly, cutting a side long glance at my friend. Dianne was also on the cheerleading team, and I’ve known her for three years now. She’s sweet, and fun to be around. She’s Mexican, but was raised in America. She’s beautiful also, with oval brown eyes, natural golden skin, and thick, black waves descended down to her ribs.

Dianne lets out a puff of hair between her lips. She raises her thin, dark brows. “Are you sure that’s all? You seem kind of off.”

I shrug. Then smile at her. “Really, I’m fine.” And I am. For some reason, work has seemed to be taking away a lot of my stress lately.

“So, I’ve talked to Stacey.” She mumbled, nibbling on the corner of her lip. We both cut across a group of teenage boys, ignoring the obnoxious wolf whistles they sent our way as we slid into Hot Topic.

“Yeah?” I say. The store was dim, and playing some techno music, and smelling of clothes and cologne.

She nods her head, rolling her lips together. She begins to flip through a stack of t-shirts. “She told me about this boy you’ve been seeing…”

Ah, here it goes. I felt my skin turn a deep crimson. “Did she now?”

Dianne tilts her head to the side. Her hair cascades downward and her eyes widen in my direction. “Elijah, is his name?” I think she sounded upset that I haven’t told her. Besides Stacey, I considered Dianne a close friend. We may not hang out often, but I feel I can trust her.

I sigh, fold my hands together and turn to face her. “Dianne, I’m going to tell you something, but you have to promise not to tell a soul.”

“Deal.” She grins, extending her hand out to me with her pinky finger curled up. I giggle, curving my pinky around hers.

“I’m not sure if you know Elijah Astor, because he’s not popular.” And I know that may sound rude, but I don’t mean it that way. I actually mean it in the best way possible. Elijah wouldn’t be Elijah if he was any different. “Anyway, he was my biology partner during junior year, and let me tell you, he met Stacey once and instantly had a huge crush on her.” I resist the urge to roll my eyes.