Prologue

Edited ✔️✔️
_______________

The black tabby's eyes fluttered opened, emitting a soft, orange glow in the den as they reflected the moonlight that dappled through the leaves. His gaze immediately rested on his brother's dark brown pelt, watching his flank gently rise and fall as he slept like a log, completely and utterly forgetful, as per usual. The black tabby smiled as his brother rested in a peaceful doze, his expression kind, yet bittersweet as he gave him a small tap on the side.

"Springedjoint."  He whispered into the darkness, his head lifting into the air for a brief moment as his eyes scanned over the nearly empty den. He prodded his brother some more, his heart twisting as he disturbed the brown tom's dreams. "Springedjoint, wake up." He leaned away as the other tom, younger than the black tabby by only a few minutes, stirred. His paws rubbed sleepily against his muzzle, and he let out a small, exhausted groan.

Stepping away to let his brother rise in his own, the black tabby lifted his ears and let them swivel back and forth, listening carefully for any disturbance to the night's silence. He felt a small rush of warm air disturb his ear fur, and he flicked it in acknowledgement to Springedjoint standing beside him.

"What is it, Darkblaze?" The brown cat mumbled sleepily, his voice slurred with exhaustion and his head lazily turned in the black tabby's direction.

Darkblaze smiled softly, amused as Springedjoint once again let his forgetfulness get the best of him.

"It's moonhigh." He said quietly, his voice level and carefully toned down as to not disturb anybody else. "Tonight is the perfect night to leave; don't you recall?"

Springedjoint's eyes stretched wide, looking like two bright yellow moons as he tried his best to stifle his surprise. "Yes, of course. It's the night of the gathering."

Darkblaze let out a purr of amusement, flicking his tail against Springedjoint's shoulder as he silently exited the den. His eyes cautiously scanned the clearing, and much to his satisfaction, nobody was in sight. He and Springedjoint had agreed upon leaving as the moon reached its highest peak on the night of the gathering, just to ensure that their escape was as uninterrupted as possible, especially with half the clan gone.

Creeping along the edge of the clearing, Darkblaze's dark pelt melted easily with the shadows. Springedjoint was following soundlessly behind him, their carefully executed plan working almost flawlessly. Almost.

A figure entered the camp, and Darkblaze went as still as stone. Springedjoint collided with his littermate's rear at his sudden stop, and quickly backed away. Darkblaze's eyes narrowed to slits as he recognized the tom who was disrupting their plans, and felt a chill run along his spine as the gray feline's yellow eyes rested on the brothers at the sudden movement.

"Darkblaze? Springedjoint? Where do you think you two are going?" Pebblewing meowed sharply, approaching the littermates with a cold gaze.

Darkblaze heard Springedjoint shuffle behind him, and the brown tom gave a polite nod to the gray warrior. "We're just making a quick run to the dirtplace." He said quickly, forcing a small smile to curl his lips.

Pebblewing narrowed his eyes suspiciously, but nodded nonetheless. "Hurry up then. Newtstar won't be happy if she finds you two wandering outside the camp." The gray patched tom's eyes flashed dangerously.

Darkblaze nodded, his heart feeling as if it would stop. "Of course, Pebblewing." He murmured.

Turning tail, Darkblaze and Springedjoint hurried into the dirtplace. The hideous stench made Darkblaze's nostrils flare with disgust as he anxiously glanced around.