Chapter Fifteen

Edited ✔️
  _______________

With excitement pounding against her chest, Miley shot an eager look over her shoulder at Shade. "I can see it!" She meowed, nearly breathless as she flicked her gaze back towards the twolegplace's unnatural silhouette through the trees.

Her tail whipped through the air as Shade let out a responsive grumble, his shoulders hunch and tail trailing. As Miley looked back at him, he averted her gaze, his amber eyes narrowed to slits.

Miley faltered her steps, falling beside the black and white tom. Inclining her head, she searched his cast away gaze. "What's wrong?" She meowed tentatively.

Shade's head whipped around to stare at her, and with agitation he bared his teeth. "There's nothing wrong with me!" He snapped through gritted teeth, frustration flashing through his pelt.

Miley hesitantly took a pace back, stopping in her tracks with a paw still lifted into the air. "Are you sure?" She meowed as the tom pulled to a stop, the tip of his tail twitching back and forth.

"Yes! I'm fine!" He yelled, whirling around to face her with fury burning like flames in his eyes. "Let's just get you back to your friend and leave, okay?" His sides heaved with anger, his breath coming in pants. With a scowl at Miley, he spun around and charged back in the direction of twolegplace, fur on end.

Miley's gaze followed the fuming tom, before cautiously she bounded after him, her paws gliding over the snow covered ground. Her stomach began to twist as she realized that she actually did want to go with Shade. But what about Harvey? Her heart tore in two as she realized how distraught he might be. She had left without a word, and his fear of the outdoors wouldn't make his concern for her any better.

Breaking into a run, the red tabby raced past Shade, her brown eyes glittering as she streaked across the snow. In a few bounds, she was on top of a fence, the wood wobbling beneath her as she crouched to it. Snow sprayed onto the ground as the fence shook, and when it finally stilled, Miley cautiously rose to her paws. Looking back into the forest, she could see Shade standing stiffly, his amber eyes flashing as he watched her. Giving a small dip of her head, Miley began to bound across the fence, searching for her garden.

Den by den she searched, her ears pinning back as she fretted upon where she was.

"Don't worry, Harvey." She muttered to herself as she stared down into another garden. "I'll be back soon."

After what felt like hours, she found a den that looked quite familiar. A stone jutted out in the center of the yard, and Miley's eyes grew round. She crouched on the fence, beginning to tremble as she was quickly overwhelmed by the thought that she was finally back home. Breathing deeply, she dropped into the snow, her paws sinking into the freezing substance. Warily she padded forward, her ears pricked as she touched her nose to the door's flap.

Here goes nothing. She pushed forward, emerging into unnatural twoleg light. Scents swamped over her, and she looked around. "Harvey?" She meowed, padding forward. Finding his nest, she sniffed the soft material, discovering his scent to be stale.

"Harvey? Where are you?" Miley turned her head, her brown gaze glittering with concern. Her tail lashed back and forth with frustration, and she sniffed the ground beside the nest.

Catching a faint trace of her friend, she began to follow the scent trail. It let up to a slightly parted doorway. It was dark on the inside, and carefully she ducked her head inside.

"Harvey?" She meowed, her voice soft in the still air. "Are you in here?"

A rustle broke through the silence, and there was a flash of amber eyes.