Chapter Ten

Edited ✔️
_______________

Snowdrift had been arranged for a dawn hunting patrol by the abandoned twoleg nest with Oaktail, Lilystripe, and Tortoisefoot with his apprentice Slopepaw accompanying him. The young blue-gray tom had maintained a good behavior, leaving Tortoisefoot with a smug satisfaction. Suddenly, Snowdrift spotted a mouse scurrying amongst leaf ridden snow out of the corner of his eye, and he leaned towards Slopepaw, averting the apprentice's attention.

"Slopepaw," Snowdrift whispered, flicking his white tail across Slopepaw's ears as he began to drift away from the warrior. Slopepaw darted back alongside Snowdrift, his lip curled in a mild sign of frustration. "Look, try and catch that mouse." Snowdrift ordered, his blue eyes remaining calm. Slopepaw followed Snowdrift's gaze, discovering the mouse for himself. His eyes brightened, and he gave an eager nod. The apprentice licked his lips, and lowered into a crouch, stalking forward with the skill of a warrior.

Snowdrift watched as Slopepaw carefully let his tail rise from the ground, placing his paws delicately against the snow which let nearly inaudible crunches pervade through the crisp air. The patrol had stopped to watch the apprentice's hunt as he slipped through the undergrowth, an eagerness shown in his rapidly twitching ears.

Tortoisefoot padded up to stand beside Snowdrift, wearing a scowl. "You're not his mentor." He hissed into Snowdrift's ears, scorn filling his mew. "I am!"

Snowdrift dismissed the dark brown tom with a flick of an ear, intent on watching Slopepaw in his hunt. Tortoisefoot huffed and gave up, stalking away from Snowdrift with frustration evident in his prickling fur. Slopepaw neared pouncing distance, and he fell still, wriggling his haunches as he prepared to dispatch the mouse as a small breeze ruffled his fur. Before he could do so, however, the mouse perked up, it's beady eyes darting towards the apprentice. Before the tom could react, it had scampered away into the undergrowth, its skinny tail vanishing into the cluster of bushes.

Slopepaw let an outraged yowl escape his lips, and forgetting entirely about the rest of the patrol, he pounded after the rodent, crashing into the undergrowth and sending the remaining leaves fluttering to the snow covered earth. Tortoisefoot snarled furiously, and without a moment to lose he charged after his apprentice. Exchanging a glance with Lilystripe and Oaktail, Snowdrift raced after the two, his tail rushing out behind him.

Following the mingled scent trail of Tortoisefoot and Slopepaw, finding where they were was an easy task. The apprentice and his mentor had finally halted, and pulling to a stop with the rest of the patrol on his heels, Snowdrift pricked his ears, his sides heaving as he rasped in large gulps of air, his breath billowing from his mouth in small puffs of white air.

"What in the name of StarClan was that?" Tortoisefoot snapped, his eyes narrowed to amber slits.

Slopepaw ignorantly swiped a paw across his muzzle, his eyes glinting in irritation. "I'm sorry." He muttered, swiping his tail against the snow laden ground as he averted Tortoisefoot's scorching gaze. Tortoisefoot scowled, and cuffed the apprentice over the ear. Slopepaw's ears flattened as he was forced to direct his gaze to lock with his mentor's. Tortoisefoot leveled himself to keep his eyes firmly locked on Slopepaw's, and the apprentice fidgeted under the cold flames.

"Next time, you have to be downwind of the prey." Tortoisefoot hissed, a small spray of spit splattering across Slopepaw's face. Slopepaw flinched a little, and the fury ignited in Tortoisefoot's eyes only increased. "Get back to camp. You'll need to speak to Pebblestar about your failure."

Slopepaw's eyes rounded in terror. "Tortoisefoot, no!" He exclaimed, his fur bursting onto its end. "Please, I'll — "

Tortoisefoot whipped his tail across Slopepaw's muzzle, and he recoiled with a muffled yelp. "No objections. I'm your mentor, and you have to listen to me."