Chapter One

Edited ✔️
_______________

Snowdrift's steady blue gaze rested firmly on the pelt of a nicely sized rabbit. The creature's tiny pink nose quivered, sending vibrations up its whiskers as it careful advanced in the snow, blissfully unaware of the white tom-cat's presence. Mouth watering, Snowdrift crept forward, placing his paws expertly against the snow as to not make any sudden noises to alert his prey. A hiss of frustration and a furious yowl exploded from the underbrush behind Snowdrift, and without a moment to lose, the rabbit bolted, its eyes rounded in horror.

Grinding his teeth together, Snowdrift hared after it, snow spraying into the air as he kicked powerfully with his legs. He cursed beneath his breath as the rabbit darted swiftly to the side. Snowdrift followed, his paws scraping against dirt through the snow which he had scattered. Measuring his distance and knowing that he'd lose any chance to catch the creature if he waited a moment further, he propelled himself into the air, landing with a thump on the rabbit, his claws sinking into its plump haunches. The prey fought to escape, but quickly Snowdrift ended its life with a bite to the neck. Sending his thanks to StarClan, the tom picked up the rabbit and padded back to where he had heard the yowls, his ear flicking irritably.

Mosspaw and Streampaw had revealed themselves from the bush, sitting in the clearing where the rabbit had been spotted, while bickering amongst themselves and threatening the other constantly. Mosspaw swiped his claw over Streampaw's ear, and she snarled in response, rearing onto her hind legs.

Snowdrift cleared his throat, and the two apprentices fell silent, their eyes darting towards the tom.

Hesitantly, Mosspaw raised his voice to a meow. "Er, nice catch." He muttered casually, brushing a forepaw awkwardly against the snow laden ground, however casting a quick scowl to Snowdrift before aiming his gaze back at the snow.

Snowdrift huffed, dropping the freshkill to the ground, the warm taste of it fading steadily from his mouth. "Not as well as I had hoped for it to be." He growled, staring sharply at the gray and white apprentice.

Mosspaw bounced to his paws, his jaw parted in frustration. "Why are you looking at me?" He demanded, tail lashing. "It's Streampaw's fault!" He glared at his sister, his green eyes burning with accusation.

"Was not!" Streampaw retorted, plopping back down into a sitting position.

Mosspaw parted his jaws to respond, but was interrupted by Snowdrift's tail swiping across his muzzle. The apprentice sneezed, before returning his glare to Snowdrift.

"Mosspaw," the white tom growled, his tail whipping lightly back and forth. "It was you, who as far as I can tell provoked your sister, so it is you who must be punished. Now, get back to camp."

Mosspaw stomped his foot against the ground. "That's so unfair!" He whined, sticking his muzzle in the air. Snowdrift silenced the apprentice with a glare, before the tom whipped around and stormed back to camp.

The white tom then turned to Streampaw, his gaze stern as he locked eyes with her. "Now, Streampaw..." he began, his voice softening and the muscles in his face relaxing to a smile. "Be more careful with your brother, he's a nuisance and can get you in major trouble with the clan."

Streampaw's gray head bobbed up and down in an enthusiastic nod. "Of course, Snowdrift!" She purred.

Snowdrift gave a satisfied smile. In the past quarter moon, Streampaw and Mosspaw's mentors became infected with greencough. Pebblestar had entrusted Snowdrift with the privilege to teach the two any extra information on their apprenticeship before they became warriors. It had honestly startled the tom since he was hardly even a warrior himself, however he did understand Pebblestar's intentions. He flicked his tail, and returned to Streampaw.