Chapter Nine

Edited ✔️
_______________

Mouse's eyes flicked around in a mixture of alarm and confusion, narrowing his brow as he tried to concentrate on the shadowy figures shifting along the horizon. A cat was streaking forward, it's identity a mystery to the kit for it was concealed in fog. It's jaws were stretched wide in a silent plea, and Mouse followed its desperate gaze towards a smaller, more lithe figure. The smaller cat snapped at the one pleading, before whipping around and racing away into the distance, where yet another cat patiently waited in the murky darkness. It beckoned the smaller one with a swipe of its tail, and in sync, the two disappeared into nothingness, leaving the first cat sobbing on the floor.

Shadows collected around its paws, wrapping around the darkness that had already concealed the scenery, before the substance began flushing towards Mouse, who reared back and began running in fear for his life. It however, caught up to him with not a moment to spare. He quickly identified it as incredibly thick fog as it wrapped around him, and his eyes grew round in terror as he tried to scream, the substance pouring down into his mouth and suffocating him. Help! He silently pleaded, writhing around as he fought for breath. I'm going to die!

His paws were unsheathed as he fitfully clawed at the air, his strength slowly ebbing away. Suddenly, he felt his eyes close, only to burst open a moment later at the calls of his mother. He gulped in mouthfuls of air, his pounding heart calming, but still skipping in fear. "Mouse!" The blue-gray she-cat exclaimed, rasping her tongue over the kit's straggly fur. He made no protest, shivering continuously under her soothing strokes.

"What happened?" Mist mewed between licks, her blue eyes glittering with concern. Mouse pressed himself close to her, small whimpers breaking through his chest.

Mouse turned his head to look at his mother with wide, yellow eyes. "I-I had a nightmare." He rasped, his tail tucked tightly between his vibrating legs.

Mist gave a stiff nod, wrapping herself protectively around the kit until his shivering subsided, his flanks evening to a gentle rise and fall. "I could tell." She murmured, allowing her kit to bury his nose into her fur. "You were tossing and turning in your sleep. Care to tell me what it was about?"

Mouse froze, his mind set astray as he wondered whether or not to tell her. After a moment of pondering, he shook his head. Mist nodded in understanding.

"I understand." She soothed, rasping her tongue once more over his soft fur. "How about this," she glanced towards the entrance of their den, where stars glittered and sent an eerie light to illuminate the darkness. "I'll go hunting, and you can stay behind and guard the den." She tilted her head, silently urging him to agree.

Mouse was still for a few moments, before giving an eager nod. It would be nice to clear my mind. He thought to himself, his whiskers quivering as his mother got up and padded away. His eyes trailed after her, before she vanished into the night. He rose to his paws, now wide awake that his fears had been brushed away. His nose twitching, he padded along, an odd scent tickling at his nostrils. He spotted an odd material crested onto the ground, it was clumped and green, and he recognized it as moss. He prodded it with a paw, and excitement ignited amongst his yellow eyes.

"I could gather some of this for Mist!" Mouse murmured to himself, his white and brown tail flicking eagerly. He grasped it between his teeth and dragged it to their sleeping spot, dropping the moss into the hollow scoop. He tasted the air, and he caught the scent of even more. Self-consciously, he began following the smell, his nose quivering as he was led out of the den and into the cool outside. His paws slipped indents into the snow, his pads pricking from the cold as he continued silently onwards, allowing his paws to lead him further and further from the den, desperation to find more moss driving him forward.

"Mouse?"

Mouse whirled around in surprise, blinking up at Mist who had appeared behind him. "Mist!" He exclaimed, freezing in his pawsteps. Mist's pelt was prickling as she rushed forward, covering him in short licks.

"Mouse! What are you doing?" She hissed, concern and anger filling her mew. Shamefully, Mouse ducked his head away.

"I-I..." he trailed off, and gazed up at her. "I found moss." He whispered. "And I-I wanted to find the source."

Mist shook her head, a long sigh billowing from her mouth. She tilted back her head and calmed herself, gazing at the night sky for a few lingering moments. Finally, she returned her gaze to her kit. "Mouse, how many times do I have to tell you not to leave the den while I'm away?"

Mouse shifted under his mother's unwavering gaze, his pelt prickling in undeniable shame. No excuse to his disobedience came to mind, so he remained in silence.

Mist's tail tip twitched, and she opened her jaws to say something. Before she could, she snapped it shut and bolted upright, her ears perking up as alarm struck her gaze. Her nose twitched as she tasted the air, and slowly her fur began to rise. She started out of her position and shoved Mouse forward, causing the kit to stumble and yelp.

"Mist!" He exclaimed as she shoved him along. The kit scrabbled to gain his footing, but to no avail as his mother proceeded in driving him along.

"Hurry!" She hissed, before shaking out her fur in annoyance and scooping him up into her jaws. He let out a squeak of surprise as she charged through the trees, moonlight that dappled the floor flashing past them as Mist raced towards their den.

The she-cat skidded into the den, dropping Mouse to the ground. Mouse scrabbled to his paws, his fur twitching in shock. Mist bunched her shoulders, her flanks heaving as she caught her breath. Moments of awkward silence went by, until she finally raised her muzzle into the air, and tilted her head towards Mouse.

"Are you alright?" She murmured. Unease prickled at Mouse's fur as he gave a stiff nod, a ragged sigh rushing from his muzzle.

"Y-Yeah. Just a bit shocked, I guess." He replied, shuffling his paws as he tried to avoid his mother's piercing gaze.

Mist sighed, dropping her gaze. "Alright. Don't wander away again, alright? Otherwise, you'll be in serious trouble."

Mouse gave a brisk nod.

"Now, I'm going to get some rest, and it would be best if you did as well."

Mouse frowned lightly, inclining his head to the side. "Can't I play a little bit? I'm nowhere close to tired." He mewed, his yellow eyes emanating a soft glow.

Mist sighed, and gave a small nod. "Alright." She flicked her tail tip. "Just don't stay up too late."

Mouse bounced to his paws. "Thank you, Mist!"

Mist gave a full nod, wrapping herself into a small ball in the nest. Her eyes fell shut, and a few moments passed until her breathing went steady, her flank rising and falling in a gentle rhythm. Mouse waited a heartbeat or so longer, before turning around and creeping forward, slipping out into the wilderness outside of the cave.

***

Mist's heart pattered against her chest, a familiar feeling of nausea rising in her stomach as she watched the brown and white she-cat huddled with her kits. The kits, a tom and a she-cat, parted their jaws in wails of fear and terror, although no sound erupted from their opened mouths. Instinctively, Mist launched herself forward as the brown she-cat met her gaze. The ground trembled beneath the mother and her kits, before it fell away into nothingness. A screech erupted from Mist's throat, and she grabbed onto whatever she could, skidding on the edge as something soft clutched into her jaws. She scrabbled to a frantic stop, a kit dangling from her jaws.

She placed the crying kit down, her sides heaving as she approached the ledge to peer down. Nothingness gaped before her, unable to see the bottom of the deep pit. Mist started as something pressed against her flank, and she blinked down as the kit silently pleaded for its mother's warmth. Fresh with grief, Mist bowed over the kitten, allowing it to huddle against her flank. She glanced up at the sky, her eyes misty with tears and loss.

"I'll help you." Mist vowed, closing her eyes as dust swirled around her. "I promise I'll keep him safe."