Chapter 16

A/N

Hi everyone. This is only a small chapter but I suddenly felt the need to write more of Erika's story. This book has not been abandoned but will probably have slow updates. I don't have much free time these days but I promise not to leave you waiting as long. 

Thank you all so much for your comments and continued support. It really does mean a lot to me xx

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED

..................................................

“Lately I been, I been losing sleep
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars
Yeah, we'll be counting stars”

“Come on Michael you know the words!!” Screaming over the sound of the roaring engine and loud blaring radio wasn’t an easy task, but I wanted to make sure Michael was having as much fun as me.

Sharp and loud bangs came from the boot and I laughed in response. “Oh you misery guts. This song is one of my favourites.”

Old, but I'm not that old
Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told

I sang as loud and as out of tune as possible. With the windows down, I enjoyed the full force of the winds as is almost knocked me right back in my seat. My once perfect hair was now wildly dancing in the winds and my cheeks ached with a permanent smile that I wouldn’t let die.

I had kidnapped Michael and locked him in the boots, stolen a very expensive car and was no singing away to a One Republic song. It was all so wrong but so terribly fun.

Lately I been, I been losing sleep (hey!)
Dreaming about the things that we could be
But baby, I been, I been prayin' hard (hey!)
Said no more counting dollars
We'll be counting stars

More loud bangs sounded from the boot. “Oh hold your horses. We are almost there.” Town buildings flew past and also a red light or two but it was late and hardly a soul was in sight so I took it as an opportunity to let everything go. Gripping the smooth, hard steering wheel I pressed harder on the accelerator and screamed like a wild girl as the engine roared like a lion and speed up like a cheetah. This moment was pure freedom.

 I feel the love
And I feel it burn
Down this river every turn
Hope is our four letter word
Make that money
Watch it burn

Turning into my final destination. I smiled wickedly when I saw Alyssa standing in the court yard.  Parking quickly, I turned off the engine and gracefully exited the car. “You’re late.” Alyssa only held one emotion and it was annoyance but my heart was beating too wildly to care. “Sorry took the long way home. You know how it is.”

I smoothed down my hair as I watched her raise one eyebrow in response. Then she clicked her fingers and a tall man dressed in black suit stepped up and handed me a thick envelope. “Your payment. I take it our guest is in the boot.”

I nodded. “Oh yeah and he had a really swell time.”

Alyssa finally nodded. “Well the fun for him and his naughty father is just starting. Do you need a ride home? My men can…”

I cut her short. “No need. I can get a cab home.”

“Very well. We will contact you with any future jobs.”

I laughed. “Does that mean I’m on your speed dial?”

Alyssa sighed. “Good night Erika.”

………….

“Rise and shine sleepy head.” Sung blazed into my room burning my very tired soul and in response I pulled the covers tighter over myself. “Go away Jake!”

“Nope. It’s your first day of school and I want you up, dressed and fed before you go.”

“Bite me!”

Jake chuckled. “Please don’t tempt me.” I didn’t move, the waves of sleep luring me back under. Then suddenly coldness and sunlight hit my body and squeezed up tight into a ball. “What the hell?”

“I have chosen to ignore the fact you came back very late last night. But if you do not get up in the next five seconds I will be forced to keep the money I found last night.”

That got my attention. I shot out of bed, my hair sticking to my warm cheeks. “That is not yours.”

Jake smugly held up my envelope of money. “I have no idea where you got this and quite frankly I don’t want to know. But if you want it back I suggest you do exactly as I say. Understood?”

To say I was angry would be an understatement but I knew threatening him with pain wasn’t going to help my case so I was going to play it his way. Everything comes to those who wait… or something like that. So I smiled and put on my best prefect daughter face. “Of course Jake. I don’t want to be late for school.”

Jake seemed taken aback by my attitude but I could see the moment he realised that he had won something against me. “Good then I will see you down stairs.”

When the door closed, my smile left and I crossed my arms. He may have won the battle but I was going to win the war.

 I smirked. “You are so dead.”