Revenge Isn't Worth The Heartache

I sat on the white hospital bed and watched as Gerard fiddled with my eye socket.
'Okay, this might be a bit painful but I promise it'll be quick.' Gerard cut the stitches that held my eye closed and quickly replaced them with more helpful ones before he placed an eye bandage over it. The pain was quick and luckily my eye had healed enough that it didn't split back open instantly. Gerard explained that the surgical thread he used wasn't one that could stay in my body as it healed and so he needed to remove it and put in acceptable thread that would be better suited for my condition. He had asked if I wanted anaesthetic, as to ease the pain but I declined due to not wanting to use his limited resources. 'I apologise for not using healing thread earlier. We used it all just before you came here.'
'On what?'
'Oh that's right, you don't know what happened to Ray.'

Gerard had led me into a different medical room and pulled back a large curtain. I saw my familiar brunette friend lying on his back, resting peacefully. His right arm was hanging off the side and his erratic breathing was concerning. I watched as the man groaned and lifted one of his arms to itch his curl-covered head before dropping it back into its previous position.
'What happened to him?'
'We're not sure. He's been sleeping since we found him. One of his fingers was missing and he had fatal wounds all over his body. Luckily, I got to him in time.' Gerard closed the curtain and stepped away from the room, obviously disturbed. 'It's very tiring to see your friends at their worst, (Y/n). I've had to watch people die. One day, I'm scared that I'm not going to be able to save them...' He trailed off. I couldn't think of what to say. The gorgeous man that I had befriended was scared and I was too stupid to realise it sooner. 'What if I fail my little brother?'

I couldn't help but think about what Gerard had said while I washed myself. My appendages were still coated in blood and I felt lame for not cleaning myself sooner. I had too much happening at once and I couldn't focus. I wanted a break.
'(Y/n)...' I herd Franks voice from behind the shower curtain. The shower I was in was about the size of an elevator, white tiles decorating the walls and concrete on the floor. The light above me flickered as I turned to see my beautiful boy peeking at me through the curtains.
'Don't you know it's rude to intrude on a woman who's bathing? Goodness gracious. You're lucky I didn't tell you off for swearing earlier.' I teased, turning so my back faced him. I felt franks hands slip across my waist, one making it's way down to my thigh and the other squeezing my waist gently. I felt wet fabric press against my back as Frank rubbed his forehead against the crook of my neck.
'I'm glad you're okay...' Frank muttered, running his fingers over my skin. I thought nothing of it.
'I would've been okay sooner if you hadn't left me, Frank...' His hands froze and breathing hitched. 'However...that doesn't mean I'm not glad you're back...'
'I wanted to settle things. I burnt down whole organisations for you, belle. I wanted to make it up to you...its my fault you got hurt.' Franks muscles tensed up as I sighed. I stepped out of his grasp and got on my knees in front of him. I shifted my legs around and sat beside his right foot, leaning my head on his knee.
'I'm not upset about what happened, I'm upset that you made me go through it alone.' If I was honest with myself, I was mad at him. I didn't want to be, but I was. 'I'm mad at you because I can't be sure you won't do it again. If you left me forever, I'd die. I'd lose myself.'
'I was going to. I wanted to leave you so you didn't face that sort of pain again but...Mikey told me that if I left he'd hire you to replace me and I couldn't do that to you.' Frank sat in front of me, placing his tattooed hand on my bare knee.
'Frank...didn't Mikey tell you?'
'Tell me what?'
'He hired me.'
Franks eyes suddenly widened after I spoke. I knew I had to tell him, he'd find out eventually and I wanted him to know. Frank suddenly clenched his fist and yelled as loud as he could.
'What? No! You can't! You'll get killed! You'll-'
'So you're allowed to risk your life and I'm not? What am I supposed to do Frank, stay at home and wonder if you're going to come back tonight?' I stood up and shouted down at Frank, my hands firmly gripping my lips.
'You don't know this business! Those men will do things to a pretty woman like you! They'll rape you! They'll try to contain you and sell you!'
'I've already been through it all Frank! Don't think I'm some damsel in distress!' I screamed, immediately storming out of the shower. I swiped a towel from a small bar handle from the wall and wrapped it around myself. I had completely forgotten about my eyepatch and stormed out, watching as gang members whistled at the wet, half naked cyclops marching towards Mikeys office.
I opened the door, stepped in and slammed it behind me.
'Is everything alright?' Mikey asked, getting out of his seat. I had my right hand over my eye as to not scare him, but blood was beginning to seep through the scar due to all the tension I was under.
'Fricking Frank thinks I'm incapable of taking care of myself! It's not my fault this happened! It's always "I can't lose you" or some crap! He wants me to just sit back while he risks his life! I'm not- ow!' I suddenly yelped. My eye was beginning to sting and blood was seeping from my eye onto my chin. Mikey reached into his pocket, taking out a white, bloodstained handkerchief and gently wiped my chin.
'Can I see your eye?'
'You can already see it. There's no eye under my hand.' I quietly sassed, still angry at Frank.
'Please?' I looked up at the taller man, staring into his beautiful light brown eyes. He looked so much like his brother yet the vibes Mikey gave off were very different. If his vibes had a physical form, it'd be that of a beautiful, kind babysitter with a machete. I reluctantly moved my hand away, exposing the ugliness of the right side of my face. Mikey stared at me as though I was completely normal before lifting his hand and holding the crimson stained fabric to my right eye.
'Why are you looking at me like that?' I mumbled, letting my gaze swerve to the mans silver necklace that I only just realised he had on.
'Like what?'
'Why are you looking at me like I'm normal, like I'm beautiful?'
'Over twelve thousand people in this world are deformed, I've caused over a hundred of them. I've seen everything, everything except a beautiful woman like you in agony. You have nothing. Your parents are dead, your boyfriend abandoned you when you needed him and you lost your eye. You're very strong.' Mikey watched as I suddenly began to tear up, my single eye turning red. I sniffled gently, looking up at the man again.
'Then why do I feel so small? I feel so alone.'
'You're never alone. We may be a group of killers but that doesn't mean we're cruel enough to abandon our family. You're one of us now.'
I suddenly leaned forward, wrapping my arms around Mikey and burying my bloodied face in his chest. He froze for a moment, unsure of what to do. 'I feel so ugly...'
'I know but that's not reality. Did you turn your back on him when you found out what he does for a living? Did you let that hitman stay in your house to kill Frank?'
'No...'
'Exactly. Because only the most beautiful person would value someone else's life over their own. Not out of self hatred, but out of love. Love is a powerful thing. It drove you to kill a man (Y/n), and that is beautiful.' Mikey slid his arms around me, comforting me like the friend I never had. 'Love is what drives us, and hate is what divides us.'
There was a knock at the door and a voice that quickly followed it.
'Mikey, its Frank. I'm lost, man I need help.'
Mikey grabbed my hand and led me to his desk before instructing me to get under it. I did as he said, knowing he wanted me to listen to what Frank was going to say.
'Come in.'
Frank immediately busted into the room and slammed the door behind him. 'I screwed up...I can't believe I abandoned (Y/n) just for revenge...'
'Yeah, that was pretty stupid.'
'I know! I-I wasn't thinking straight! I'm...I'm scared that she's going to get hurt...I'm so angry, angry at you for hiring her, angry at myself for letting you, I'm worried about her...'
'You're not mad at her?'
'No, because I would do the same...I did do the same...(Y/n) is my one and only, I don't want her to die...'
'She won't die.'
'How do you know?'
'Did you see how she handled herself? When you were gone, she functioned fine. When you came back with Merlino Amarillo, she handled it. She's perfect, you need to understand that. Do something or get something that represents your feelings for her. Buy her something she'll love because unlike your past girlfriends, she loves you. You love her, don't you?'
'Of course.'
'Than why don't you say it anymore?' I muttered quietly, tears still pouring from my eye. I listened as Mikey spoke once more. 'She thinks you don't love her now that her eye is gone.' He lied.
'That's not it at all! I would do anything for her!'
'Then why leave for revenge? What did that do for her? She felt even more like a monster! You were so caught up in yourself that you didn't think about her! Why didn't you say anything? Why didn't you comfort her?' Mikey suddenly screamed at Frank, finally fed up with everything. 'She was in here crying! Why am I cleaning up your mess? Get out of my office and go do something special for her because last time I checked she saved your life! She saved both of our lives! If she didn't kill that Italian scum in your house he would've put at gun to our heads and painted the fucking walls with our brains! Buy her something that symbolises how much she means to you! Don't complain, do something about it because she's the only woman that has stuck with you!'
I reached forward, taking the ankle of Mikeys' pants leg into my hand. The moment I did, he used it as a sign that he should calm down.
'But I don't...what should I get her?'
'Just settle things with her before she runs away, I don't care how.'
After hearing that, Frank bolted out of the room. I clung onto the rim of my towel as I stepped out from under the desk.
'Oh shit, your eye is bleeding again. Hold on, I'll get Gerard.'