Chapter Two

Hello everybody! Thank you so much for stopping by to read. Comment your thoughts and vote if you'd like. Enjoy!

     Two

   I became aware that I was laying on a hard, cold surface about the same time that I noticed the intense throbbing in my head. Opening my eyes slowly, I felt my surroundings swirl. I sat up gingerly, succeeding at pushing myself into an Indian position without getting dizzy. Rubbing   the back of my head with the heel of my hand, I looked around.

   I found myself in a fully furnished apartment. It was more than that though, it looked to me like an expensive flat in Manhattan, worth at least half a million, contemporary styled. Sitting on the tile floor of the kitchen between the stainless steel fridge and black marble island, I couldn't see much. So, I grabbed onto the countertop, pulling myself up to get a better view of where I was standing. Dizziness struck me hard and I had to grab the smooth countertop for some support.  

   The kitchen was large, all gray and silver. It flowed openly into the massive living room, which was furnished with two white sofas, a white chair, a glass coffee and side tables and a sixty inch plasma screen hanging from the off-white walls, wedged in between two white shelves that held stacks and stacks of movies and books.

   I shook my head, turning to my right to walk through the dining area and down a narrow hall that was decorated with black pieces of modern art. As I walked all the way down to the end of the hall, I was led to a white door. I wiggled the knob-- it was unlocked. Pushing it open, I found myself in a large bedroom, a low-sitting bed with a white comforter to my right, and a steel gray dresser to my left. The people that lived here must've been appalled by the sight of any color.

   There was a sliding glass door on the far wall that led out to a stone patio. I walked towards it, my feet padding on the soft white carpet. I was really interested in seeing what the outside world of Seattle looked like when a folded piece of notebook paper that sat on the bed caught my attention.

   A note.

   I picked it up to find that my hands were trembling. Flipping it open, I read the handwriting carefully.

   Spectrum, it read, I trust that you'll read this letter and follow my instructions precisely. Tomorrow, you begin classes at Cold Creek High School. You will have many of the same classes as Arayx. But, let me remind you that you are on earth to protect Arayx, and nothing more. You will need to get close to him so you can protect him properly, but I want you to remember that this is all just a role. You aren't just Spectrum anymore. You're Spectrum Davis, you're now a senior at Cold Creek High School. You just transferred from Portland. The rest is up to you. But, remember, more than anything, you must not give your true identity away. No one, no human being, should ever know that you're a Guardian. Understood? This apartment is where you'll be staying. Don't worry, the permanent residence weren't harmed. The closet is filled with all the clothes, money and school supplies you will be needing for your time as a mortal. Do not fail me, Spectrum. There will be consequences.

   Sincerely,

   Lepious.

   Shaking my head, I dropped the note on the bed. I looked down at myself and realized I was still wearing my white council dress. I ambled over to the double doors that opened to a walk-in closet, overstuffed with clothes and shoes. How long did the council plan on me being down here?

   Curiously, I sifted through the clothing and noticed a lot of jeans and black tee-shirts. Not much a variety at all. I suppose I was supposed to blend in but jeez, I didn't need to look completely bland. People were gonna think I wore the same clothes everyday. Kneeling down by the far edge of the closet, I found a black backpack stuffed full of notebooks and textbooks, and a thick envelope filled with money and a blue credit card marked 'Emergencies Only'.