Chapter Nine

Leave any thoughts or comments below. Thank you so much, enjoy!

     Nine

    Alec stared at me in utter shock, peering down at the dagger in my hand, the blade pointing directly at his heart. My breathing was quick and rapid, my teeth clenched, prepared to drive the blade through Alec's chest and take whatever consequences might come from Lepious for disobeying his orders. But then something strange happened. 

    Fear vanished from Alecs face as he stepped forward and knocked the dagger out of my grip. I didn't fight at all as he immediately took my head between his large hands and crushed his lips to mine. Surprise and shock washed over me at first, then anger, then... warmth. It was as if my whole body was melted butter. 

    His rough hands slid from my face down to the small of my back, pulling me closer to him as I found myself kissing him back. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I closed my eyes, feeling his soft lips part against mine. His mouth tasted sweet, almost like cinnamon. My heart was beating erratically, my palms sweating as my thoughts completely blurred.

    Stop it!  the little voice in my head yelled, This is wrong, this is wrong, this is so incredibly wrong! He's a human! No, he's a Nephilim! That's even more wrong! This is wrong to the extreme, Spectrum, stop kissing him now! 

    Trying to listen to the voice in my head, the much wiser voice, I loosened my grip a little on Alecs neck, but he just deepened our kiss some more. I knew that I had to stop, this was not right whatsoever! It was wrong on so many levels, but I didn't want to stop. I wanted to stay here with Alec, our lips glued together. I didn't care if the Nephilim in the warehouse woke up and came after us. We could take them on together. Just the two of us, a team... together... 

    Snap out of it, dumbass!  the voice screamed. And, this time, I listened. Snapping back to reality, I pulled away from Alec viciously, slapping him hard across the face before picking up the dagger and shoving it back in my boot. 

    "Next time, I won't hesitate," I warned, stalking away before Alec, who was completely taken aback, could say anything... and before he could see the tears that sprang from my eyes as I turned to walk away.

***

    "Get it together, Spectrum," I muttered to myself as I pulled open the door to my apartment complex, walking into the warm, inviting lobby. After about thirty minutes of wandering in the strange town next to the warehouse, I was able to hitch a ride in a hippie van with some strange smelling kids who were headed to Seattle for a music festival. God bless those weed loving hippies for getting me safely back to my temporary home.

    My thoughts were still mixed up, my head was still somewhere else completely. And, to my dismay, my lips still felt warm and tingly where Alec had kissed them. His lips, so plump and soft and perfect... shaking my head, I shoved my hands in my jean pockets, trying to concentrate on the click of high heels on the marble floor as business ladies around me walked with their morning Starbucks to leave for work. I kept my eyes on the ground intently, knowing I looked like shit. I didn't want to meet the questioning gazes of anybody this morning. Taking the stairs, I sprinted up to my apartment, flinging the door open and locking it the second I slammed it shut. 

    "Come on, clear your head. You're fine. You're okay. That was nothing, you need to get your crap together, Spectrum," I said to my empty living room, leaning up against my door and kicking my boots off, the dagger clattering to the cold floor. Uh-oh. Talking to yourself was never a good sign, especially when you had every right to break down and become mentally unstable. Sighing, I pushed myself off the door and walked to the kitchen. I was grazing my fridge for something to settle my empty stomach  when I heard something. A voice. A voice that was coming from my bedroom. Every hair stood up on my arms.