ten- explore

ten- explore

song for this chapter: "portrait 19" by The Paper Kites

>>><<<

It was only a day since Iris had first smiled, but it seemed like everything changed. The house seemed like it had been filled with this glorious light that made Zayn forget his troubles. He couldn't seem to stop smiling, and it seemed the same with Iris.

He didn't regret telling Iris that she was beautiful: how could he tell himself any different? Zayn knew that she needed to hear it more than anything, but he found some thrill in telling her.

Zayn had just returned from his walk, and was waiting patiently in his room for Iris to come back. Once again he had had no luck with a ride home, but he found that he didn't mind as much as he would've yesterday.

The back door closed, and Zayn suddenly sat up, his hair kind of a mess from constantly twisting and turning in his bed, waiting for the moment when Iris would come back home.

Iris appeared at the doorway, and gave him a small, shy smile. "How long were you waiting?"

Zayn shrugged, and smiled back. "Not long at all."

"I'll go prepare lunch, then." Iris proclaimed suddenly, and Zayn could hear her walking down the hallway. He shook his head, mumbling things about how unusual she was.

He waited a little while before joining her in the kitchen, not wanting to make her feel awkward, which Zayn realised he did often, without meaning to, of course. He absentmindedly ran his fingers through his hair as he walked in, a gentle smile appearing on his face as he watched Iris.

She was cutting up pieces of cucumber, a grin on her face, like cutting cucumber made her the happiest person in the world. Her fingers moved skilfully, and didn't miss a beat.

Iris looked up, and Zayn realised he had been caught in his act of staring. He blushed red and sat down at the table, looking at her through his unusually long eyelashes. Iris had started to hum.

Before long a plate filled with salad was placed before him, and Zayn looked up, giving Iris a still rather embarrassed smile. She sat down, and started to eat, looking at him.

"What?" Zayn asked, feeling uncomfortable.

"Why are you so embarrassed? You were blushing for five minutes." She said, raising her eyebrows at him.

"Was not." Zayn mumbled, moving the lettuce around with his fork.

"Zayn, I was looking right at you." Iris said pointedly.

"I don't know." He said, wishing fervently to divert the conversation away from the fact that he was staring at her. Well, more accurately, admiring her, wanting to never forget her face.

Zayn never wanted to forget her.

They ate in silence, and Zayn could feel Iris still looking at him, but he wasn't going to look up, not yet, anyway-

"I think it's time." Iris said simply.

"Time?" Zayn repeated.

"Yes, it's time."

"Time for what, may I ask?" Zayn said, watching as a smile started to come onto Iris' face.

"It's time for you to work." Iris said, standing up and taking over their empty plates to the counter.

Zayn looked at her, confused. "Uh, what do you mean, work?"

Iris rolled her eyes at him. "Like helping me do things around the farm. I'll start you off with simple things, and then build you up to the heavier tasks."