twenty five- wonderland

song for this chapter: “ready to run” by One Direction

>>><<< 

Zayn was shaking, the anticipation of seeing Iris threatening to send him into a full blown panic attack. He had imagined this moment since the day that he got back home, but now that he was in the car and driving toward her, he couldn’t help but think of all the things that could go wrong.

“I can’t do this Liam.” Zayn whispered as he began to hyperventilate. 

Liam kept his eyes on the road. “It’s just nerves, take deep breaths, I’m here.”

The mixture of Liam’s soothing voice with his advice meant that he could calm himself down, though the nerves and anticipation of the meeting was still making his heart race. He did not know how Iris would react, or whether she would be angry at him for leaving her.

He might kiss her accidentally for being far too in love with her for his own good, and then she would probably never talk to him again because there was no way in this world that Iris loved him. 

But that didn’t matter, Zayn needed to go see her, and he looked at every exit on the freeway, trying to remember which one it was that he had turned down. He smiled a little at his anger and hurt, and how careless he had been. It had been nice to be so free, and he wished he could have that sense of freedom again.

“You better now?” Liam said sympathetically, snapping him out of his daydreaming.

Zayn managed a weak smile. “Yeah, I think I’m ok.”

Liam laughed. “Boy, you really are in love with her, aren’t you?”

“Yep.” Zayn sighed, making Liam laugh even more.

“Have you figured out what you’re going to say to her?” He glanced at Zayn, his eyes sparkling with excitement and looking more alive than he had in a while. Zayn realised that what truly made Liam happy was seeing those he loved happy, which was so selfless and caring that he hated what the world was doing to him.

“I just kinda want to hug her and tell her that I love her, you know?” Zayn mumbled, blushing slightly. “But knowing me I’ll probably just gape at her until she says something.”

“She’ll definitely be swept off her feet with all that gaping you’ll be doing.” Liam joked, making Zayn’s smile widen.

“You’re so funny, Liam.” Zayn replied, rolling his eyes.

“Well duh, I already know that.” Liam said, pretending to flick his non-existent hair over his shoulder.

Zayn snickered. “You’re such an idiot.”

“You’re the bigger idiot.”

“You’re the biggest idiot.”

“Super idiot.”

“Godly idiot.”

Liam cheered triumphantly. “Yes, I’m a godly idiot! I win!”

Zayn snorted. “You idiot, if you’re a godly idiot then you’re the biggest idiot that could ever- Liam, take this turn, here, here!