fifteen- mellifluous

song for this chapter: “hopelessly devoted to you” by Olivia Newton-John from ‘Grease’

>>><<< 

It had been the first time that Zayn had been for a walk down to the car in a week. So busy had he been spending time with Iris, that he had almost forgotten the world waiting for him back home.

Almost.

Of course he felt bad for his lack of trying, but he believed that he was doing what any man in love would do, and that almost eased the guilt.

Once again, almost.

But sitting here at the car definitely helped, though he was so eager to get back. Every night that passed seemed like he fell more and more in love with Iris, if that were possible. He didn’t mean it, but Iris was so perfect to him that sometimes he had to excuse himself from the room while he calmed his palpitating heart.

The sun was shining gloriously today, its bright beams of light turning Zayn’s skin warm and bringing a contented smile to his face. He sighed as he ran a hand through his black hair, looking down the road.

Last night was what had brought back the guilt: he had had a horrible dream in which he came back home and the boys were sitting in his living room, glaring at him, but Liam was on the floor, blood coming from his wrists, his face pale.

It’s your fault I’m dead, Zayn. Liam had whispered, his voice unearthly and Zayn had cried and screamed in his dream until he woke up, sweat covering his skin, his mouth open as if he were about to yell out.

The thought of the dream made goose bumps appear on Zayn’s arms, and he let a shuddery sigh escape his lips. It was time to go back to Iris, to distract himself.

And was it Zayn’s fault that his car broke down in the middle of nowhere? He didn’t want his car to break down, he just wanted to escape everything for a while, and he got what he wanted, though not exactly how he expected.

But then again, Zayn knew deep down that he hadn’t wanted to go back these past two weeks. The guilt gripped at him tightly, but living out here, oblivious to everything was so much easier.

He started to walk up the hill effortlessly, his breathing controlled. Zayn began to smile as he thought of Iris, and suddenly the knot of guilt building in his chest disappeared.

Iris was sitting on the front porch, and she waved happily when she saw Zayn. He waved back, his heart pulsating a little faster than usual.