Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Daniella was pulling out a fresh homemade apple pie out of the oven in Kerry-Anne’s downtown condo when she heard a key turning in the lock, followed by the sound of the door opening, then the clink of keys being thrown on the glass side table.

“Hey Kerry,” Daniella said, not even bothering to turn around. She set the apple pie gingerly on a cooling rack on the counter and grabbed some cutlery. “You’re just in time,” she continued. “The apple pie is done, and I made some delicious filet mignon, even if I do say so myself.”

            “Really now?” A voice said. Daniella turned around. A man with brown, curly hair met her eyes…a man that looked suspiciously like…

            “Jordan Jones? JJ?” Daniella said in amazement. The man grinned as he recognized her.

            “Wouldn’t you know it! Smarty-pants Daniella Carter is back,” Jordan said with a sly grin.

            Kerry-Anne, who was busily straightening up some of the centerpieces on the dining table, looked at them.

            “You two know each other?” she asked, surprised.

            Daniella chuckled and shook her head.

            “Know each other? That’s an understatement. We were practically best friends back in high school,” Daniella said with a smile. “We just fell out of touch with each other when university rolled along. The better question is, how do you two know each other?”

            Jordan laughed.

            “There’s a question I can answer,” he said. “We work at the same place!”

            “No way!” Daniella exclaimed, moving over to the dining table to help Kerry-Anne set the table.

            “Way,” Kerry-Anne muttered sarcastically.

            “Wow, this really is a small world after all,” Daniella said, smirking at Jordan.

            “Don’t you dare even breathe a word about that!” Jordan cried.

            “About what?” Kerry-Anne said, missing that exchange between Daniella and Jordan.

            “Come sit down,” Daniella said to them. “I’ll tell you over dinner.” She walked back into the kitchen and dished up her filet mignon. She added a small sprig of parsley as a garnish to each plate then placed a plate in front of both Kerry-Anne and Jordan.

            “Bon appétit!” Daniella exclaimed, taking a seat across from them.

            “Wait…what about you?” Jordan asked.

            “I’ll just make some ramen for myself later on. It’s more important that the guest eats first,” she said, adding that last part when she saw Jordan’s mouth open again.

            “So,” Kerry-Anne said. “What was that about Jordan and how this is a small world?”

            Daniella grinned as she saw Jordan shoot her a warning glance.

            “Well, back in high school, JJ and I were both in the school band, and for some odd reason, we had to play that song ‘It’s a Small World’…”

~~~~~

            Two hours later, eight o’ clock rolled around, and the three of them were still gathered around the dining table, picking at their apple pie and reminiscing about past events.