Chapter 7: Kendall

Without thinking, I feel my feet gliding beneath me. I finally regain my consciousness just before I drop down the never-ending black pit. My heart races in my chest, the soft thumps being the only thing I can focus on. My insides twist, every bone in my body screams at me to turn around. But I don't. "Be careful," Nina whimpers from behind me. I take one last breath before stepping into the hole.

Suddenly, I'm falling. Everything is intensified and yet I feel as if I'm too dizzy to comprehend anything. Moments flash before my eyes, memories of all the time before this. It hits me mid-fall that I don't feel anything for Mark. I feel nothing at all. My body goes limp as I fall, my clothes pulling in every direction. The darkness consumes me as I feel my eyes close slowly. I wonder at that moment, that maybe I'll just fall forever. I'll never get anywhere, just be stuck falling. Maybe it isn't even the right entrance and any second I'll splatter onto the floor. I don't care. A little bit of me wishes that would be true true, it'd be easier.

I hear the whooshing in my ears turning into screaming pleas of random voices flowing together. I feel a wave of pain wash over me, like someone just threw a world of emotions at me. I find myself crying as I fall, wrapping myself into a ball as I let out all the feelings buried inside. The voices come from all directions, whispering things to me I can't understand. I feel overwhelmed. When my eyelids flutter open, I swear I see hands reaching for me though the darkness just before I hit the ground.

With a groan, I roll over onto a blanket of snow. The winter breeze whips the hair from my face as a light shines into my eyes. The roar of a train chugs towards my direction. I squint through the fog only to find a train hurdling full speed towards me. I gasp, pushing myself to my feet. It's so close I might go deaf. Out of nowhere, a set of hands yanks me to the side. I hear the train whiz by as I collapse into a set of warm arms. They wrap around me cautiously, helping me to my feet.

"Are you okay?" he asks breathlessly.

"Is she hurt?" another alarmed voice asks. "l

"I'm fine," I sputter out, yanking myself away from the stranger. I place my hands on my knees as I desperately gulp in cold air.

"You could've gotten yourself killed!" the other voice shouts at me. Two similar sounding voices.

"Calm down, Ty," the guy who caught me scolds the other.

"I'm sorry," Ty apologizes quickly. Once I catch my breath, I look up. A set of twin brothers stand before me, they look similar in ways. Similar dark brown hair, similar hazel eyes. They are both close in height, around five inches taller than me. Something about the one who caught me, he just makes me feel something. I haven't felt anything in a while. I don't know what I felt, but it was something. The feeling is washed away with guilt, reminding myself that Mark is probably thinking of me while I daze off into a strangers eyes. A lump in my throat forms as I find myself staring harder at him.

"Where did you come from?" Ty asks from beside us.

"Earth. Or whatever, the regular dimension. I don't even know how to word it," I shrug, biting my lip.

"How did you...?" the other begins.

"What's your name?" I cut him off.

"Leo. You?" he asks me lightly. Before I can answer, Nina appears from behind me. Soon after, Damon, Alaska, and Zane follow.

They stand close behind me, I can see the clouds from their breath float into the air as we stare at Ty and Leo. "Who are they now?" Leo asks suspiciously.

"Sorry," I laugh, "I'm Kendall. These are Nina, Alaska, Damon, and Zane. Guys, this is Ty and Leo. Leo just saved me from being hit by a train," I introduce everyone quickly.

"Nice to meet you guys," Damon shakes their hands. Zane nods in acceptance. Nina and Alaska flick their eyebrows at me. I roll my eyes, feeling my cheeks flush. I look back at Ty and Leo, only to find Leo looking right at me.

"We are looking for our friends, is there anyone else around here?" I ask to break the silence.

"Technically yes. But we sort of ran away from them..." Ty trails off.

"What do you mean?" Alaska asks curiously.

"Well there's this little camp thing that people who get stuck here go to for shelter and safety," Ty begins.

"We ran off because we want to go home, I want to get back to my family. We have nothing here. It's dangerous," Leo bites his lip.

"Especially at night," Ty adds.

"At night?" Zane repeats curiously.

"That's when the creatures come out," Ty answers blankly.

"Wait, what kind of creatures?" Nina shivers.

"Demons, all kinds," Leo breaks eye contact with me, and that's when I notice the scar on his neck. I stop myself from asking what happened, thinking it might be disrespectful. I'm not surprised by the demons, it seems exactly right for the house to hold a bunch of demons.

"How did you guys get here?" Ty asks intensely.

"Where is everyone else?" Nina puts a hand on her hip.

"Please, we just want to get home," Leo sighs. I feel bad for him, for some reason I just want to make him to smile again. But I don't know them, for all I know they are terrible people.

"I'll make you a deal," I offer.

"What kind of deal?" Ty raises an eyebrow.

"You help us find our friends and we'll take you two with us when we get them back and we can all get out of here together," I purse my lips.

"Well how do we know you aren't lying?" Leo crosses his arms.

"I don't lie. In fact, technically I owe you enough of the truth since you did just save my life," I nod to him reassuringly. The brothers glance at each other wearily.

"Alright. We'll help," Ty agrees.

"You're a lifesaver." Alaska sighs with relief.

"You promise?" I ask with uncertainty.

Leo looks at me with hesitation. "Fine. I promise," he waves his hands in the air. I smile triumphantly.

With the help of our newfound friends, maybe we can really make it to everyone else. We have a real chance. Maybe we can make it home without leaving anyone behind. I meant my promise to them. If we make it out then I swear to myself that so will they, maybe they will even stick with us outside of this. We just have to hope, to find a way to survive.