Chapter 9: Kendall

The sun begins to set, trains rattle by in the winter snow. Ty and Leo effortlessly latch onto the rest of the group, easily fitting in conversations as if we have known them our whole lives. Suddenly, I have two more people I am scared to lose.

They tell us what it's like out here and what kind of monsters come around at night. The more stories they tell, the faster we shuffle through the mounds of snow. The night is coming quickly, my heart races quicker by the second. "You said that you two ran away from the other group... Why?" I ask curiously.

"They never wanted to look for a way out. They were all too scared, but not us. We want to get home, so we ran. It was night when we left, they might not have noticed we were even gone. But we ran for a while until we started hearing screaming and we hid in an empty train cart until the screams went away. We fell asleep and not soon after, we woke up and kept running and getting on trains until I saw you standing right in front of a moving train. I thought you were trying to kill yourself, which meant another soul trapped. I don't know how many souls already are, but I know we don't need any more," Leo exclaims.

"I bet a few noticed, but they probably didn't tell anyone," Ty interjects.

"Like who?" Leo shakes his head.

"Pen, Holland, and Maria," Ty states as if it's obvious.

"Who are they?" Damon raises an eyebrow.

"Our friends Pen Harper, Holland Johnson, and Maria Flynn. Leo and Pen dated for a while," Ty shrugs.

"Dated. As in no longer," Leo shoves Ty. Ty groans, shoving him back. A small laugh slips out of my mouth before my hand blocks it from progressing.

"You think its funny?" Leo laughs along with me.

"A little," I shrug nonchalantly.

A few moments after, the only light left is the pale moon peeking from behind a thin cloud. I know there are demons nearby, I can feel it. All of my arm hairs seem to stand up and something inside of me is telling me it isn't just from the cold. Everyone keeps close to each other, letting Ty and Leo lead the way. For all we know, they are leading us to nothing. Hopefully, they were telling the truth when they told us they'd take us to the camp. Maybe our friends are even there, who knows.

The wind picks up, slapping at my bare skin like flames dancing in a fire. It burns, every step seems as though the next could be the last. I shield my eyes with one hand, my teeth chatter as I push forward. Determination is swallowing us, as if it can shield us just long enough to find an empty train cart.

"I can't feel my legs," Alaska cries out.

"Hold on to me," Nina rushes to her side, wobbling to catch her balance.

"Did any of you hear that?" Zane's eyes bulge.

"Hear what...?" Damon trails off with uncertainty.

"Oh, no," Ty gulps as he glances behind us. I do the same, squinting through the flakes of snow. It's too foggy to see anything, but the wind seems to quiet for a moment. Suddenly, I can hear it.

Piercing screams fly through the air, seeming only a couple hundred feet away. I glance at the twins, waiting for them to think of a plan. "Shit," Nina clenches her eyes shut.

"We have to run, come on!" Leo leads the way, creating tracks in the snow.

"They are gonna find us. They will see our tracks!" Damon slurs his words.

"It's fine, just follow my lead," Leo bellows from ahead. I do as he told, running beside him. Damon scoops Alaska up by her arms, slinging her on his back so that Nina can keep up.