Chapter 16: Mark

With everything going on, I am a bit worried about Kendall. She isn't acting herself. I just want to make sure she is okay because I still care about her. I am thinking of ways to help when Cole joins me by my side. "Wind is picking up outside. A storm is probably on its way," Cole sighs.

"Might as well, its already freezing as it is," I joke, trying to lighten the mood.

"Look man, I know I put on a brave face and everything for everyone, but honestly I'm scared shitless. I don't know how to save everyone. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if we don't all make it out alive together," Cole admits with a shrug.

"I know, just don't think about it too much. We will make it," I assure him.

"The only thing keeping me going is the fact that my gorgeous car is sitting there just waiting for me," Cole jokes. We laugh it off, the mood lightens more.

Kendall is laying on the floor of the train cart next to Pen, Nina, Alaska, and Holland. She glances at me every once in a while, but she glances at Leo more. I make my way over to him, even though I know it is probably a bad idea. Kendall's eyes bulge as she sees me walk toward him, her jaw clenches. She worries too much, it's not like I'm going to fight with him. Leo is leaned against the cart door, staring at the wall blankly, as if millions of thoughts are buzzing through his head. "Hey, dude," I rock on my heels.

"What's up?" he asks me, jerking his head suddenly.

"I was just wondering, what's going on between you and Kendall?" I try saying as casual as possible.

"Oh. Kendall. She is a great friend, but I'm not over Pen. I haven't told her that, though. Everything is just really confusing for me right now," Leo closes his eyes, clearly stressed.

"Just don't hurt her, man. Do what's right." I speak blankly, leaving him to think.

A loud crashing noise comes from outside, the train tracks squeal beneath us. The sudden jerk knocks everyone standing to their feet, screams breaking out. I fall forward, my knees collide with the ground as my hands catch my fall. "What was that?" Chase whispers, pulling Nina close to him.

"I'm not sure. The train stopped," Ty answers with a confused expression on his face.

"I'll check it out. Everyone stay here," Cole orders as he slowly cracks open the train cart just enough to peek outside. Snow whooshes inside, the cold winter breeze causes goosebumps to rise on my arms. A shiver runs down my spine. Cole's face goes pale as he slowly slides the door closed as quietly as possible.

"There's something out there, isn't there?" Lazaro predicts. We all know he is right.

"At least twenty of those things. They didn't see me but we have to be quiet. Everyone shut up," Cole half whispers, half yells. We all crouch down, hiding in shadows as everything goes silent. I can hear feet shuffling around in the snow outside, they are getting closer and closer to the cart. Suddenly, my whole body goes numb and the air is knocked from my chest.

I gasp for air as the setting around me changes. I am in a wooden crate, dirt falls through the cracks above me. I breathe carefully, thinking logically. I am underground which means that I have limited oxygen left. I close my eyes, adjusting myself in the tight space. "Anyone out there? Please help. I'm underground. I'm alive," I call out, hoping someone will be near. I stop myself from saying more when I see a shape move beside me. Slowly turning my head, I realize that I'm not alone. A pale girl lies beside me, unconscious and still. Her eyes flick open, her head turns to face me. Her eyes are black pits, sucking me into the abyss. "Who are you?" I tremble. She looks unbelievably familiar, I just can't figure out how. When she smiles, it instantly comes to me. She is Kendall.

"We are all going to die, Mark. They are coming for us," multiple voices speak together in Kendall's body. "Nobody loves you, you know? You're all alone. You are meant to be dead. We all are. We will be soon. Just give it time, he's coming. He knows where you all are. He has known all along. He doesn't like you and your friends, you know? He doesn't want you guys getting home," she grins, looking back at the ceiling.

"Who is 'he'?" I quote her.

"William. You might not know him, but you will soon. Ask the ones who made it out of the house at first, they talked to Shelly. His wife. Stupid bitch should've died a long time ago," the girl who looks like Kendall mutters in disgust.

"Why are you telling me this? Why am I here?" I scream, rage taking over as I strike the boards with my fist. The boards shake, dirt caves in.

"You're running out of oxygen, aren't you?" the figure asks with delight.

"Shut up. Shut up. Shut up. Stop talking to me," I wheeze. The air seems to be getting heavier, making it harder for me to breath. I can't talk anymore, I gasp as I struggle to catch my breath. It is so cold. I am so hungry. Everything is too much.