Chapter 10: Mark

Even in sleep, I can still hear the whaling screams of the spirits just outside the train cart. By morning, I am still exhausted. When my eyes flutter open, a ray of sunlight is peeking from the entrance of the cart. I can hear voices outside, suddenly realizing I am the only one still inside. Pushing myself to my feet, I yawn tiresomely. As I groggily step into the cold morning, a thought occurs.

I wonder how Kendall is. I have been so overwhelmed with keeping everyone alive that it is almost as if she's a distant memory, as if she doesn't even exist. Maybe she was just a fantasy all along. I remember how close we were; the memories we had, the things we did together, the way her lips felt against mine. I remember how she looked; how her long brown hair had other tints of brown woven into it and how if you looked into her brown eyes long enough, traces of green would appear. I remember the sound of her laugh and her voice. I remember how I felt about her; I was in love with her. But that's the thing, was is a different thing than am. Once the thought occurs, I freeze for a brief second. I can't move my body, I feel numb even to the winter weather whizzing before me. I don't love her anymore.

"We should get going if we want to make it to the camp before nightfall. We don't need anymore of those things coming after us," Cole curls his mouth into a bitter grimace.

"I agree with Cole. It's getting colder, we are running out of food and we haven't found anything. We should find the camp and settle there for a while," Yvoni adds.

"The camp could really help you guys out for a while, there's food and warmth and people. It's not so scary out here when you aren't alone," Pen smiles sympathetically.

"What about Ty and Leo?" Holland asks wearily.

"They would've made their way back to camp by now if they are still alive. There's no way they'd risk it out here for more than a few nights," Maria exclaims.

"I don't mean to intrude, but I think you shouldn't lose hope. If you come back with us after we camp for a while, we might find them along the way. We could all get out of here and go back home. Not the camp home, but home home," Chase bites his lower lip, stuffing his hands into his pockets to keep warmth.

"You want us to come back with you guys?" Maria raises an eyebrow, her lips curl into a smile.

"Absolutely, you guys are one of us now," Arizona pulls the three girls into a hug.

"So you guys will?" Yvoni flashes a grin.

"Definitely," Pen smirks.

My heart stops as Hazel lets out a shriek. "What is that!?!?" she whales at the top of her lungs. I dart in front of the group, shielding them from the figures in front of us. Cole and Chase stand on opposite sides of me, their stances mirror mine; protective and ready to attack. I'm not scared anymore. I have nothing to lose.

That's when we hear it. The screaming from all directions, overwhelming as they whir through my eardrums. They rattle inside of me, snaking around my bones. The snow falls quicker, the whipping wind seems quiet and soothing against their ear-piercing cries. I glance behind me, a tear trickles down Maria's cheek. "What the hell?!?" Pen stares in disbelief, fear flashing through her eyes.

"How are they here? It's morning," Ivy shivers, her voice shaking with her.

"I don't understand. They can't be out during the day," Holland cries.

"Well what do we do?" Lazaro screams, looking in all directions. The shapes seem to be getting closer, causing my hands to sweat even in the coldest of weather. The snow slaps at my skin, my insides burn with hunger.

"We run. That's what we do!" Chase orders, everyone spins in the other direction. We bound through the snowdrifts, ignoring the burning in our muscles. We ignore the cold and the wind, just fight our way away from the screams. But it is no use, they are so close.

"Follow me!" Holland yells as loud as she can.

"Right behind you!" I yell back to her, being sure to stay behind everyone else in case someone drags behind.

I can hear their screaming only a few feet behind me. I am slowing down. I am too tired, too hungry. I am losing hope. My eyes close, I push myself forward. The wind picks up, causing some of the snow on the ground to swirl into the air. I hear trains nearby humming their way across tracks. We hop over other tracks, some so icy that they may not have been used since winter had begun. My eyes still closed, I rely on Cole's directions. Suddenly, a hand tugs me downward and I feel myself falling.

I slide down a hole, my eyes open. The screams dull out, the pounding in my head only gets louder. We are going underground in some sort of elevator. All of us huddle together in the darkness. The world seems to be tilting sideways. I feel myself wobbling. I can't concentrate. I can't hear what anyone is saying but I know someone is talking. The ringing in my ears, the pounding in my head, the thumping of my heart. A blurry spot in my vision clears for just a second, revealing exhausted and cold bloody faces. Blood oozed out of the corners of my friends eyes and ears, dripping down their necks and onto their clothes. They rely on the wall for support otherwise I'm sure they'd cave in. Then everything is blurry again, and suddenly I am more tired than ever. I reach my hand up and wipe my finger on the side of my chin. Blood trickles down my finger. I am bleeding, too. Sleep is calling me. The pounding, the thumping, the ringing; I want it all to go away. And just like that, I am drifting off to sleep. The last thing I hear is the soft, murmuring voices,

"Mark. Oh my god, Mark," Ivy and Arizona speak over each other.