Chapter Five

"Summer, aren't you hungry?"

Summer looked from her plate to Dawn, who sat down the table from her at breakfast. There were a few kids up already, including the Turner twins, both of whom appeared half-asleep at the other end of the table.

"Not too much," Summer replied. She pushed her nearly full plate away.

She was starving. But everything here tasted like fish after the first night. She didn't understand it.

"You need to eat. You're skin and boobs," Dawn said with a laugh. The girls flanking her laughed as well.

Summer's face grew hot. She rose and returned to her room, where the small deer slept in the middle of its pillow fortress. She patted its head then left the room quietly.

"I was just coming to get you for dance class," Amber said from down the hall. "You ready?"

Summer nodded. They descended to the first floor and down the hallway to the dance studio. Everyone was already there. She took up her place in the back of the class, mind on the deer in her room. She went through the motions the instructor showed them. Before she could flee back to her room, Amber stopped her.

"The rest of the girls have the day off. You and I are going to do some introductory magick studies. Meet me out back in half an hour? Is that enough time for you to change?"

Summer nodded and ran back to her room.

Her deer still slept. She hovered over it for a few minutes before changing into jeans. She'd grabbed some milk at breakfast; it sat on her dresser, waiting for her friend to awaken. It didn't during her short break, and she left it grudgingly.

Amber waited for her at one of the picnic tables. In front of her, outlined by rocks and candles, was a circle around a pentagram. She patted the table beside her, and Summer sat.

"You look a little pale," Amber said, studying her. "Are you sleeping well?"

"Well enough," Summer said. "I don't like the food here."

"Seriously? You seemed okay with it the first night."

Summer shrugged. She didn't know why, either.

"Wait a minute." Amber hopped off the table and drew a crystal and some sage from the bag between them. She lit the sage, tied the crystal to its base, and blew on the fiery herb until smoke puffed towards Summer. The rich, earthy scent was comforting.

Amber murmured a few words as she waved the sage around Summer. She motioned for her to stand, and Summer did, watching her teacher circle her with the smoking herb.

"That should take care of it," Amber said. "Lesson one. When you use magick, and there's any left over, burn it to return it to nature."

She tossed the sage into the center of the pentagram.

The sound of a car door closing drew Summer's attention towards the house. A tall woman with black hair and wearing a suit entered the side door leading into the kitchen.

"That's Matilda," Amber said quietly. "You remember how I told you I teach the children of the Light?"

Amber nodded.

"She teaches the children of the Dark."

Summer's gaze lingered on the door. The woman seemed the opposite of Amber, even from a distance. Her hair was short and kept in place by hairspray, her slender figure clad in formal wear. Amber floated over the ground in her skirts; Matilda marched.